Penn Brewery sponsors Camp Pilsner 2003

By Katie Mavrich

Penn Brewery Beer Camp

Saturday, noon

Penn Brewery, $25

800 Vinial St.

(412)… Penn Brewery Beer Camp

Saturday, noon

Penn Brewery, $25

800 Vinial St.

(412) 237-9400

It’s a fact – all beers aren’t created equal. They vary in cost, color, taste, ingredients, packaging and brewery location. There’s a difference between pilsners, lagers, ales and porters. There’s a difference between a microbrew and a macrobrew. For example, Budweiser, the “King of Beers,” is a macrobrew brewed by Anheuser Busch in Missouri and Penn Pilsner, a microbrew, is brewed by Pittsburgh’s own Pennsylvania Brewing Company.

This Saturday, learn beer from A to Z – or in this case, B to R. The Pennsylvania Brewing Company, also known as Penn Brewery, is holding its very first Beer Camp. Its sibling, Brew U, made people thirsty for more ethanol education; thus Beer Camp was conceived. It will cover the vitals of mastering the art of all things beer for campers who are a counselor’s age – obviously you have to be 21 to attend.

The Penn Brewery was founded in 1986 by Tom Pastorius and is located on the North Side. The brewery houses a restaurant and brews only German beers in authentic German fashion – right down to the equipment. Only four ingredients are used in each beer that the Penn Brewery creates: malted barley (or wheat), water, hops and yeast. No preservatives and no corn or rice, either.

In addition to a talk/lesson by Pastorius, the event will feature a lunch buffet, tour of the facilities and a beer tasting seminar where campers can sample the variety of beers that brewery produces, such as the notable Penn Maerzen. This smooth beer made with imported hops is listed as one of renowned beer critic Michael Jackson’s top 24 beers in the country.

After attending Beer Camp, you won’t think twice about choosing a smooth Penn Oktoberfest Bier over a chic Cosmopolitan or a sweet citrus malt beverage. No longer will conversations about the quality, color, aftertaste and texture of beers leave you in the dark and you will have a greater appreciation for the tasty beverage. You’ll be able to put your two cents in knowing that you got your $25 worth.