We must guard against sanitized thought

By Editorial

Apparently, the war has sapped the ability of many Americans to think straight. People are… Apparently, the war has sapped the ability of many Americans to think straight. People are making decisions that may seem small and inconsequential, but in reality, they are representative of a nation losing its mind and taking tiny steps toward martial law.

In Oregon, a new anti-terrorist bill, Senate Bill 742, is in committee. The bill contains automatic sentences of 25 years to life for anyone convicted of terroristic activity, which seems reasonable, until one examines the wording of the definition of “terroristic.”

The bill defines as a terrorist “a person who plans or participates in an act that is interpreted, by at least one of its participants, to disrupt” business, transportation, schools or government.” The vague language is clearly targeted at protesters who use the tactic of blocking the streets to make a point, and if passed, will take a giant bite out of civil liberties.

Using the same word to refer to those who would block traffic – an annoyance, granted, but in the name of freedom of expression – and the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackers – people who mindlessly murdered thousands of innocents – belittles the horror of actual terrorism.

In the world of entertainment, Madonna has decided to scrap the video to her new single, “American Life,” because she says the violent anti-war images are no longer appropriate for a nation and world in conflict. The video was filmed before the war began.

What this move says, essentially, is that Madonna is retracting her views now that they’ve become officially unpopular. This may seem unimportant – it’s only a music video, after all – but what if this behavior becomes the norm?

What if all artists begin sanitizing their views before releasing them to the public? Artists lucky enough to have the freedom of speech guaranteed to them have traditionally been at the forefront of ideas and revolutions. It is incumbent upon artists not to allow this freedom and responsibility to wither.

Warner Bros. also recently changed posters for the upcoming teen comedy “What a Girl Wants.” The poster featured star Amanda Bynes standing between two British guards, wearing a tank top emblazoned with the American flag, her hand raised in a peace sign. The new poster has Bynes’ hand at her side, to avoid any political implications.

The girl is wearing an American flag standing between two British guards. The poster is practically propaganda anyway, peace sign or not. It’s entirely possible to be pro-peace and in favor of the war in Iraq – we are, after all, seeking to depose a ruler who is the antithesis of peace. The change was made after the original image made it onto several buses and billboards, which only serves to draw attention to the incongruity.

In the years following this war, Americans and the world will look back on decisions like these and wonder, what were we thinking?