The Pitt News picks: SGB endorsements

By EDITORIAL

While choosing Student Government Board hopefuls to endorse this year, The Pitt News was faced… While choosing Student Government Board hopefuls to endorse this year, The Pitt News was faced with a stronger field of candidates than in past years. After hearing many pitches and spending hours in debate, the Editorial Board has chosen to endorse five candidates for Board and one for SGB president. These candidates will work well individually and together, and they will bring experience to student government.

Three individuals are running for the SGB presidency this spring. Andrea DeChellis has proven herself an intelligent activist with a great talent for organizing, and Pat Creighton has a trademark no-nonsense approach and is never afraid to speak his mind. But after speaking with each candidate, we have chosen to endorse Liz Culliton. Culliton comes to the table with valuable experience on the allocations committee and the Board, and she has fresh, achievable goals. She has made notable progress toward attaining goals in the past, and she will be a strong mediator for SGB in the future.

For the board, The Pitt News endorses the following candidates:

Alissa Krutoff: Aside from being very competent and hardworking, Krutoff has proven herself through service. She is currently serving as president of the Panhellenic Association and has done great things for the Greek community during her tenure. Krutoff has goals that can be attained in a matter of eight months, and her record shows that she is capable of attaining them.

Brian Kelly: Kelly has student governance experience that sets him apart from most other candidates. He is currently serving as the Resident Student Association president – an office he achieved as a sophomore – and has chosen campaign goals that deal with his area of expertise. He also has experience with the allocations committee, and his plans for office are centered on the students.

Lauren Williams: Williams is currently involved in several campus organizations including Some of God’s Children and Black Action Society. She’s down-to-earth and will never fail to speak her mind. She is interested in working with other Board members to connect students with the administration, and has the spirit to actually do it.

Peter Stopp: After a year of steady bickering, Stopp’s presence will be refreshing for SGB. He has a teamwork-centered focus and will look out for the interests of the group as a whole rather than catering strictly to his own goals. He also has a wide range of experience on SGB committees and with RSA. Stopp’s experience and attitude are exactly what the Board needs.

Stephanie Hadgkiss: Hadgkiss has a detailed and impressive resume. With experience on SGB’s allocations committee, Pitt Program Council, University Senate, CAS Council, and others, she has the know-how to serve. Although she worked as a Pitt News staff writer for much of this year, that connection had little to do with this endorsement – her resume speaks for itself.

When voting today – as everyone should be – be sure to consider these candidates when pulling the lever. They will bring a fresh and friendly face to SGB.