Bid on guitars: People are counting on you

By Katie Mavrich

Spending a small amount of dough, helping others and being entertained all at the same time… Spending a small amount of dough, helping others and being entertained all at the same time – it is possible. This Saturday at noon at the A.J. Palumbo Center, Clear Channel Entertainment, Clear Channel Radio and Clear Channel AdShel will host the Clear Channel Cares Acoustic Auction.

Admission is two cans of nonperishable food that will be donated to the Greater Pittsburgh Food Bank. Rummage through the kitchen cupboards, or stop at the grocery store, and I bet you will still spend less than $4.

Live entertainment by the Buzz Poets, Joe Grushecky, Bill Deasy, Michael Glablicki and others will take place throughout the event.

Rock collectibles, such as autographed posters by Ozzy Osbourne, the Clarks and Incubus, are among the items being auctioned off in a silent auction. There’s also a cowboy hat autographed by Alan Jackson, a guitar with the John Hancocks of the Black Crowes and a Coldplay T-shirt you definitely won’t want to wash. Many items will begin at $10.

But there’s more to the auction than autographed merchandise – event tickets will be auctioned off, as will guest DJ spots on radio (WDVE or WXDX perhaps?) and various billboards, some the actual 14 inch by 48 inch size.

Disagree with what Post-Gazette music critic Ed Masley says about some of your favorite bands? For a small fee you can get your revenge by sinking him in the “Dunk the Critic” tank.

All proceeds from the auction will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, so why not part with your green beans?