Softball, baseball players honored by Big East Conference

By KAREN BIELAK

Two softball players earn Big East honors

The Pitt softball team’s efforts during…

The Pitt softball team’s efforts during its 6-0 winning streak from March 17 to 23 did not go unnoticed. Two Panthers were recognized by the Big East Conference.

Senior pitcher Nikki Gasti was named Pitcher of the Week for the third time in her career after picking up five victories including both games of a doubleheader against Youngstown State March 18. Three of Gasti’s wins came as a starter and two in relief to boost her season record to 9-7, putting her one short of her school record of 10 wins.

During the week, Gasti struck out 25 batters in a span of 23 innings, including nine in a shutout victory over Robert Morris.

Panther third baseman Kelly Hulpa was named co-Player of the Week for hitting .474 and driving in seven runs during the six games. Hulpa is now tied with Jackie Harr for the school record of career RBIs with 65. Hulpa’s nine hits included two home runs, one of which was a two-run, walk-off blast. She also scored six times for Pitt.

Hulpa also had a strong defensive effort. She picked up seven putouts and seven assists. Her most stellar showing was in the first game of the doubleheader against Youngstown State when she recorded all three outs of the seventh inning. This is the second conference honor for Hulpa, who was also named co-Rookie of the Week on March 21, 2000.

Baseball pitcher recognized by Big East

Panther starter Nick Evangelista earned Big East Pitcher of the Week honors after claiming a 2-1 victory over Seton Hall on Saturday.

The junior worked 5 2/3 innings in the Panthers’ conference opener, striking out a career-high 11 batters while giving up just five hits and one run en route to his team-best fifth victory of the season. He is now 5-1 with a 2.16 earned run average and has struck out 37 while walking just four.

Borza wins 100th match of Pitt career

Senior tennis player Nikki Borza picked up the 100th victory of her career as Pitt defeated Cleveland State last week. Borza, who competes as the Panthers’ No. 2 seed, recorded a victory in her singles match by winning 6-1, 6-1 and also claimed her doubles match with teammate Hayley Hughes by a score of 8-3.

Borza is currently fifth on the Panthers’ all-time list of victories. After also picking up victories this weekend against Bucknell, her cumulative record is 58-47 in singles matches and 44-43 in doubles matches.

Covert to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

Former Pitt football player Jimbo Covert has been announced as a member of the 2003 induction class into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Covert was an All-American offensive lineman for the Panthers in 1981 and 1982 and will be the sixth Pitt player in the last nine years and 22nd overall to receive this distinction.

Covert began his career on defense but switched to the offensive line where he was a starter for three consecutive years, when the Panthers put together a 31-5 record. In both 1980 and 1981, Pitt finished 11-1 and No. 2 in the national rankings. During his senior season, Covert played in the Hula Bowl and Senior Bowl while being named a consensus All-American.

Covert went on to enjoy a career in the National Football League after being drafted sixth overall by the Chicago Bears. He was named Offensive Lineman of the Year in 1986 and earned a Super Bowl ring in 1985.

Twelve players and coaches overall will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in December, including Barry Sanders and Joe Theismann.