Port Authority is worthy of funding

By editorial

Pitt students often cite free passage on Port Authority buses as one of those sweet side… Pitt students often cite free passage on Port Authority buses as one of those sweet side benefits that makes them proud to be Pitt students. The bus rides, though, are certainly not free, and now that the new Pennsylvania state budget has called for significant cuts, they may become more costly.

The 6-percent cut in public transportation reflects the state’s scramble to climb out of a serious deficit, a problem that comes with controversy but no easy answers. The state Legislature will draw fire no matter what areas it decides to cut, so public transportation may be an obvious choice. But the Port Authority of Allegheny County, along with public transportation in cities around the state, provides an important service, not just to students, but to city dwellers as well.

In recent years, PAT has been criticized for raising prices while cutting routes, a process that flies in the face of “you get what you pay for” logic. Bus fare is now set at $1.75, meaning that a trip from Oakland to Downtown and back will cost $3.50. While the bus system is intended to be affordable and convenient, many people are realizing that it’s now cheaper to drive. And if more of PAT’s estimated 76 million riders yearly start to act on that idea and switch to cars, the city will pay for it with pollution and parking problems.

State and city officials are in a tight spot, being faced with a deficit and no clear way out. People will protest funding cuts with as much vigor as they protest tax hikes, leaving officials with few options. Basically, funding to assist PAT can come from the state, the city, Pitt or the students. The first two will be slow to act since they are bogged down with other significant issues. But since the budget cuts coincide with Pitt’s PAT contract, changes can be made on the University’s end to accommodate PAT’s problems.

Pitt tuition is high and getting higher, and much of the money is going toward building projects and other causes that have little direct effect on students. If a new PAT contract with more money from the school – even if it means a small increase akin to the $5 student activities fee increase – could do wonders to help PAT, Pitt and the city, then it would be worthwhile because it is something that students actually use.

Even with a weak economy, Pennsylvania must not let important institutions like public transportation fall by the wayside. In this instance, if Pitt and Pitt students can chip in to help, it is important that they do so.