Oscar Picks: Shani Alston

By Shani Alston

Best Actor: Jack Nicholson, “About Schmidt”

I’m predicting Jack Nicholson will…

I’m predicting Jack Nicholson will take this one. He had a solid performance in “About Schmidt,” and it’s not like the Academy doesn’t already know him. If he wins, this will be his fourth Oscar.

Best Actress: Renee Zellweger, “Chicago”

“Chicago” will sweep the Oscars, so it makes sense for Renee Zellweger to win for best actress. This role helped establish Zellweger as more than a popular culture movie actress, since she starred in such an elaborate production. I think the Academy will reward her for it.

Best Supporting Actress: Queen Latifah, “Chicago”

This category belongs to Queen Latifah all the way. I really loved her in “Chicago,” and I thought she had one of the best performances in the movie. Realistically, she probably won’t win, but maybe using my powers of prediction, I can make it happen because I said so. Queen Latifah with an Oscar – how cool is that?

Best Supporting Actor: Ed Harris, “The Hours”

I want Ed Harris to win for his role in “The Hours.” This movie wasn’t the most action- packed, but it focused on its characters, and they drove the movie. Harris’ character was strong and tragic, and without Harris’ performance, the movie would be lacking.

Best Picture: “Chicago”

“Chicago” will win because it makes everyone wish life was a musical. Seriously, it had the best costumes and music, as well as a wide variety of actors and good direction; it was something ambitious to do onscreen. If Best Picture is the movie with the best of everything, “Chicago” qualifies.

Best Direction: Rob Marshall, “Chicago”

Rob Marshall directed “Chicago” and may get his first Oscar for it. There were so many great things going on in this movie. It’s not a new idea to bring a stage production to screen, but Marshall did it well. He made “Chicago” a movie without losing all of its theatrical appeal. I think he will win for that accomplishment.