Dressy Bessy is cute, like a little doll

By MELYNDA FULLER

Little Music

Dressy Bessy

Kindercore Records

Little…

Little Music

Dressy Bessy

Kindercore Records

Little Music, the newest release by Dressy Bessy, is so cute you’d want to pinch its cheeks – if it had any. From the starting line of Little Music, Dressy Bessy’s new compilation of demos, 7″s, EP, various other compilations and export-only releases, it’s obvious that this is an album to nod your head and tap your toes to. After having success with Sound Go Round, the Denver band went back to its early years and collected all of the charm of its infancy.

While some compilations of previously unreleased and uncollected material sound choppy and obnoxious, Little Music behaves like a coherent, fluid album. “Live To Tell All” begins the album with hip-shaking rhythms. By the second track, “Lipstick,” it becomes obvious that even though this is “irrelevant” music, it’s too much fun to dismiss. The theme of teen-age jealousy emerging from one girl making out with another girl’s boyfriend is just silly and lets down the rest of the album. But don’t give up early: This is as poppy as the album gets. Then it takes on a Liz Phair feel with “Instead” and never stops.

There aren’t many moments when the album doesn’t feel like Liz Phair, at 15, juiced up with caffeine. Tammy Ealom, on vocals and guitars, is mainly responsible for this. Her mellow, slightly off-key vocals are soothing but energetic – just like the songs she writes. John Hill accompanies the waif-like lead vocals on guitar. He’s best known for his musical stylings with Apples in Stereo with whom he played and still plays guitar double duty. Rob Greene on bass and drummer Darren Albert’s skills are nothing to scoff at, either. Together, they create an impeccable rhythm section.

The highlight of the album is “I’m Never Wrong.” The surfy sound of the guitars and Belly-like lyrical stylings feel like a beach party movie. It’s super-cheesy, but it makes you grin anyway. The kitschyness of Ealom’s shaky voice and the back-and-forth rhythm of the music is enough to make anyone feel lost at sea, but that’s not a bad thing in this case.

After the first few tracks, the fuzzy guitars that seem to forever hum in the background during the length of the album become mundane and garbled. However, they shine when fingerpicked melodies emerge from the fog. These moments are rare, but Little Music is worth wading through. Just don’t expect too much.

If you want to rock, this isn’t the album for you. You’ll be nauseated and sticky with sweetness but the time the last track rolls around. But if you’re intrigued, here’s a quick piece of advice: become best friends with a Dressy Bessy fan. You can sit in his or her living room and get sticky with sugary music and feel 16 again. Then go home. It’s a vacation from all things serious and cynical.