ACLU director comes to CMU

By Kevin Funk

While the U.S. government has declared a war on terror, Anthony D. Romero is fighting a… While the U.S. government has declared a war on terror, Anthony D. Romero is fighting a battle against what he sees as the domestic outcome of that war: massive civil liberties violations.

Romero, who is executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, visited Carnegie Mellon University Sunday afternoon to give a keynote address titled “It’s Your Fight Too: Keeping America Safe and Free.”

While acknowledging that the government has the obligation to defend the American people, he stressed that measures taken must be within the bounds of the Constitution.

“What was under attack on [Sept. 11, 2002] was not just American lives and American property, but core American values,” he said, but added that people who have safety but not freedom are living in a totalitarian state.

“Government efforts have fundamentally challenged the second part of that equation,” he said, referring to four basic areas where the government has eroded civil liberties in the name of fighting terrorism.

As part of the Greater Pittsburgh ACLU Chapter’s 2003 Annual Meeting, Romero’s first area of focus was on the rights of immigrants.

Though he commended President Bush for his initial attempts to reach out to Arab-Americans, Romero said that it soon became apparent that it was all empty rhetoric.

“In the aftermath of [Sept. 11, 2002], government efforts … were turned into a war on immigrants,” he said.

Among other examples, Romero noted provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act that would allow immigrants to be held for up to a week without being charged with a crime.

In addition to finding the legislation unconstitutional, he also questioned the logic of another law that asks nationals from certain countries to register with the government.

“You have to ask yourself a basic common sense question,” he said to the audience of 200. “Would a terrorist line up to be photographed and fingerprinted?”

Summarizing these legislative efforts, Romero commented that the government has “created a palpable sense of … xenophobia in our country.”

Romero also spoke about increasing government surveillance.

“As you’re here with me, government officials could be in your house,” he cautioned the audience, noting that under new legislation the person would not have to be informed until after the search has already taken place.

“You’re right to be left alone is in serious jeopardy,” Romero said.

Also troubling to Romero was what he viewed as threats to the system of checks and balances.

“If you concentrate too much power in any one branch of government, you risk subverting democracy,” he said.

Romero specifically attacked Attorney General John Ashcroft for his new powers in areas that had previously been reserved for judges, and for allowing enemy combatants, as well as two U.S. citizens, to be detained without being charged with a crime and without access to a lawyer.

“It’s fundamentally unfair,” Romero commented on the situation.

However, Romero’s harshest criticism of Ashcroft came when he was speaking about the closing down of public discussion and debate.

“One of the darkest moments,” he said, was when Ashcroft “said either you’re with us or against us.” He also “has an insatiable appetite for new powers,” Romero concluded.

Romero is especially worried about the proposed second PATRIOT Act. “It would have made the Nixon wiretappers legal,” he said, and added that it would also threaten habeas corpus for documented legal immigrants. “Why are we giving our government powers it does not need?” he asked.

However, Romero still remains optimistic about the future, noting the resistance of communities, police departments, colleges, and librarians to implement these changes.

“All of this is a sign of our success,” he said.

Romero, who is the sixth executive director for the ACLU, and first Latino and openly gay man to serve in this role, also stressed the common cause of fighting for what he perceives as American values.

“The one thing that does bind us together … is our commitment to civil liberties and civil rights,” he said. “We can follow our fears … or lead with our values.”