Senate right to deny Alaska drilling

By Editorial

On Wednesday, the U.S. Senate voted by a narrow margin – 52 to 48 – to continue to block oil… On Wednesday, the U.S. Senate voted by a narrow margin – 52 to 48 – to continue to block oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in northern Alaska. Unlike many issues the Senate addresses, this was not a partisan effort.

The Boxer Amendment – introduced by Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., and ratified by the Senate – blocks drilling on the coastal plain of the refuge and received support from seven Republicans. The environment is a frequent loser when it’s up against SUVs, but in this case, it was nice to see senators voting with their consciences rather than their interests.

The debate over drilling has been heated in recent years. Some argue that oil reserves deep beneath the Alaskan refuge could offset the need for imported oil, while the opposition says the reserves don’t hold nearly enough to make up for damage to the environment. Proponents argue the oil wells would be very isolated and would not interfere with wildlife, but the opposition contends that wells would be intrusive enough to offset the park’s ecosystem.

Environmental concerns are important, and the United States stands to lose a national treasure if drilling ever commences. But drilling in the refuge is not simply a danger to polar bears and caribou. On a larger scale, it is representative of a quick-fix mentality that is willing to keep vehicles fueled at all costs. Fossil fuels won’t be around forever – and they pollute while they are – so the United States should take this opportunity to step up efforts to develop alternative fuels.

At present, the United States uses about 20 million barrels of oil daily. But America is innovative in addition to being wasteful, and if oil resources would suddenly vanish, alternative fuel vehicles would most likely be all over the roads by the end of the year. In regard to transportation, it’s time that convenience and luxury take a backseat to positive change, or at the very least, a new focus on public transportation.

More and more, Americans are being faced with the repercussions of their gas-guzzling vehicles. One day, a better alternative will move to the forefront, but for now, Sen. Boxer and her colleagues must be supported in their vigilance.

“We have defeated similar proposals in the past, and I am pleased that as a bipartisan group we have stood firm in our resolve to protect the refuge,” Boxer said. “Americans must continue to be vigilant because proponents of drilling in this Wildlife Refuge have vowed they will not give up.”