The headliners are Eyeliners

By Melynda Fuller

Melynda Fuller Staff Writer

Eyeliners

Dynamite Boy, Counteraction, Sixty Four

Sunday,… Melynda Fuller Staff Writer

Eyeliners

Dynamite Boy, Counteraction, Sixty Four

Sunday, 6:30 p.m.

Mr. Small’s Theater

$8, all ages

Anyone who has experienced an Eyeliners show knows that that is exactly what it is: an experience. Laura’s massive vocal power, Gel’s bubble-gum powered guitar riffs and Lisa’s snappy bass lines demand attention.

Although it’s always interesting to see a drummer front the band, as Laura did on early tours, the addition of a guest drummer – it changes with every tour, this time around it’s a friend they made on Warped Tour last summer – allows Laura to cascade across the stage. Her nimble body and rock ‘n’ roll prowess add a level of sin to the pop-punk lyrics of the Eyeliners’ songs. Gel is on her way to punk rock infamy with her stage antics. One minute she’s hopping in circles, the next she’s on her back executing beautiful noise with her faithful guitar. And don’t forget her bubble-blowing madness.

Lisa remains demure and controlled all the while, but her Patty Duke hairstyle shakes to the rhythm. She’s the cornerstone of Eyeliners trinity, keeping balance while her sisters descend into chaos.

The three sisters have come a long way from their early years in Albuquerque, N.M. Hopping from Sympathy for the Record Industry to Lookout! Records to Ben Weasel’s label, Panic Button, they’ve captured the adoration and respect of the record industry with exhaustive touring and revered headliners such as Screeching Weasel and Fugazi. Ben Weasel is featured on their latest album, Sealed With a Kiss, on the duet, “It Could Have Been You”.

While each album goes poppier and poppier, it’s hard to say what will happen next. However, the quality of their shows improves the quality of the music and makes the audience forget that this is what 14-year-old girls listen to. The Eyeliners are tough girls who know the music business, have worked their way to the top and just want to play some fun songs.

So, if you haven’t gotten the idea yet, they rock hard. And, word on the Lookout! Records Web site is that the big labels are chasing these ladies. So, catch them before they’re gracing the cover of YM or something cheesy like that.