10 days : The Boring Version

By SHANI ALSTON

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Starring Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey…

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Starring Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey

Directed by Donald Petrie

“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” is definitely a lesson in dating don’ts, but not a very hilarious or memorable one. Good thing there isn’t a pop quiz.

Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) is a columnist for Composure Magazine who wants a challenge: She wants to write about more than shoes and liposuction. Unfortunately, her boss has other things in mind.

Andie ends up with an assignment to write a column about all the things women do wrong in relationships. She has 10 days to find a guy and make him dump her. Benjamin Barry (Matthew McConaughey) works for an advertising agency that’s about to snag a very important client. In order to head the campaign, he bet his co-workers he could make any woman fall in love with him in 10 days. Two conniving women make the match and the game is on.

The movie progresses like a mediocre roller coaster, slow and jerky in the beginning, fast and somewhat exciting in the middle, with a rather uneventful and predictable ending. While the plot is nothing new, it’s hard to believe that such an important business decision could be made by winning a bet. When Andie and her friends get together they giggle more than seventh graders in health class. In fact, all of the twentysomething professionals in the movie act like conniving teen-agers, even going so far as to pose a friend as a couples’ therapist.

Nothing really stands out in the film. It’s a story that’s been done many times. The twist – the fact that Andie has her own agenda for Ben – could potentially make the movie something to remember, but unfortunately, it doesn’t build on that potential. Only when Andie begins acting like the most obsessive, needy, clingy and annoying girlfriend ever is when the comedy in the movie shines through, although not completely. Some of the jokes seem forced, with the characters onscreen laughing more than the audience. Andie’s over-the-top behavior is fun, but some of it was a little too over-the-top and became overdone and boring after a while – especially with the running gags.

“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” isn’t a total flop. Some of the scenes are cute and romantic, plus you get to know what a Chinese Crested dog looks like. But it’s not worth a trek down to Loews in one of Pittsburgh’s freak blizzards. So do yourself a favor and check the weather report before you go.