Pitt ends Season at Penn State

By BOBBY PUGHStaff Writer

In their last meet before the Big East Championships, the Pitt indoor track and field teams… In their last meet before the Big East Championships, the Pitt indoor track and field teams traveled to Penn State for the Penn State National Open.

The Panthers took home top honors in three events while also earning three third place finishes. This was the first officially scored meet of the indoor season for the Panthers, and as a team the women took home fifth place with 68 total points, while the men’s team finished in 10th place with 18 team points.

Melanie Carter led the Panthers as she leapt to a first place and NCAA automatic qualifying mark of 13.42 meters in the women’s triple jump event. Carter also took third place in the long jump with a jump of 5.86 meters.

Trenace Elliott also brought home a first place title as she dashed to victory in the women’s 400-meter race in a time of 55.48 seconds. The women’s 4-by-400 meter relay team gave Pitt its last title of the day when it won the race by a second over West Virginia in a time of three minutes, 44.11 seconds.

Elizabeth Bayne grabbed the second runner-up spot in the women’s 800-meter race in an NCAA provisional time of 2:08.96. Also earning a third place finish for the Panthers was Kimberly Lyles as she registered a time of 24.59 seconds in the women’s 200-meter event.

Nicole Vann continued to hurdle well as she finished fourth in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.56 seconds. Teammate Tamara McGill followed close on the heels of Vann as she took fifth in the same event in a time of 8.73 seconds. McGill also earned eighth place in the high jump, clearing 1.69 meters.

Pole vaulter Marissa Dudek continued to demonstrate her consistency as she earned a fourth-place finish, clearing a height of 3.65 meters. Lamoy Stephens turned in a solid performance in the women’s long jump event as she also netted her team points with a jump of 5.70 meters, which was good enough for sixth place.

Sophomore Amanda Walker earned seventh place for the Panthers in the women’s shot put with a toss of 14.89 meters.

In men’s action, the 4 x 400 meter team fared the best as it earned a fourth-place finish in a time of 3:13.02. Senior Alvin Jones posted a fifth-place finish in the long jump with a mark of 7 meters while teammate Shawndel Daniel jumped to a seventh-place finish in the same event with a jump of 6.87 meters.

Sophomore middle distance runner Jeryl Wilborn dashed to a fifth-place finish in the 800-meter run in a time of 1:51.87. Freshman jumper Korey Gross leapt a distance of 13.75 meters in the triple jump, which earned him an eighth-place finish.

Chris Anderson sprinted to a ninth-place finish in the men’s 200-meters. Pole vaulter Matt Brousse continues to turn in consistent marks in the men’s pole vault where he matched his personal best for the third consecutive meet with a mark of 4.80 meters, which earned him ninth place overall.

The Panthers return to action next week as they travel to Syracuse for the Big East Conference Indoor Championships.