Tela Ropa update

By Christian Schoening

“Operation Pipe Dreams” has forced Tele Ropa’s sale of traditional tobacco pipes to go up in… “Operation Pipe Dreams” has forced Tele Ropa’s sale of traditional tobacco pipes to go up in smoke.

The investigation into Tele Ropa’s product sales is part of a campaign, sponsored by the U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft, to combat the sale and distribution of illegal drug paraphernalia.

The campaign, which formally began last July, has culminated in the arrest of 27 individuals and 17 separate indictments, 10 indictments of national business distributors, and charges against 17 Western Pennsylvanian “head-shops.”

Richard Kevin Jaussen, the owner of Tele Ropa Inc., has been indicted and could face up to three years in prison, a fine of $250,000, or both.

U.S. District Attorney Mary Beth Buchanan explained in a press conference Tuesday, “shops are not closed, but all illegal products have been removed.”

Buchanan described those being charged as “conspiring to sell, offering to sell and those selling drug paraphernalia.”

“Those who sell drug paraphernalia are not only violating Federal law, they are contributing to drug use, and targeting drug sales of paraphernalia is an essential element in drug demand reduction.”

Special Agent in Charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration Jim Kasson described the common goal of the investigation as an effort to protect the youth of America.

He said those involved in the sale of drug paraphernalia do so under the theme of deception. They sell items that resemble anything from lipstick containers to highlighter markers, all which can be used in association with the consumption of marijuana and other drugs.

Buchanan explained that this is a multimillion-dollar industry that primarily targets young people, and that “drug paraphernalia is responsible for both trafficking and [drug] use.”