Pitt will face challenge at Notre Dame

By BRIAN GOLDMAN

Last season, there weren’t many dark spots in Pitt’s magical run to the Sweet 16. If there… Last season, there weren’t many dark spots in Pitt’s magical run to the Sweet 16. If there was one cloud that hung over the Panthers last year, however, it was their two losses to Notre Dame.

Pitt got revenge earlier this season by beating the Irish 72-55 on Jan. 6 in both teams’ first Big East game of the season. On Sunday, the Panthers can avenge their loss from one season ago by trying to beat Notre Dame in the place where, according to head coach Ben Howland, the Panthers took their worst loss of the 2001-2002 season: the Joyce Center.

“That game last year was the only game we were crushed in,” Howland said. “Maybe that will provide some motivation for us Sunday.”

Not only will the game Sunday be between two of the top 10 teams in the country, but Pitt (16-2 overall, 6-1 Big East) leads Notre Dame by only half of a game in the Big East West Division. The Panthers are coming off a 68-61 win over Providence Tuesday night, while Notre Dame took its second conference loss of the season Wednesday night, falling by a score of 78-72 at Seton Hall.

The first time these two teams met this year, Pitt dominated Notre Dame, outrebounding the Irish 51-30 and scoring 52 points from inside the paint. Chevon Troutman recorded his first double double of his career, while Ontario Lett had a career-high 20 points and Pitt once again held its opponent less than 60 total points.

As for the Irish, they only had one bright spot. Matt Carroll scored 31 points, more than half of his team’s total of 55. Chris Thomas, the Irish’s second leading scorer, had only five points in the loss.

When Notre Dame (18-3, 6-2) takes the court Sunday, Carroll will be looking to reach double figures for the 29th consecutive game and keep the Irish perfect at home this season (12-0). The game against Seton Hall was the first time in 13 games someone other than Carroll or Thomas led Notre Dame in scoring. Brandin Knight knows the Irish backcourt well and knows that in order to win Sunday, Pitt must play hard defense and contain Notre Dame’s dynamic duo.

“We need to hold them under 60 points,” Knight said. “That’s really important to us because we rarely lose when we hold opponents under 60. We also must hold Carroll and Thomas down and make other guys beat us.”

Howland too is concerned with the Irish’s backcourt as well as playing in front of a hostile crowd in South Bend, Ind.

“Everyone is better at home,” Howland said. “Carroll and Thomas are one of the three best backcourts in the country.”

After a brief pause, Howland then added that he believes his duo of Knight and Julius Page is one of the other two best backcourts in the country. However, the question that will be carried up until game time is, will Pitt’s backcourt duo be healthy enough to play?

Page did not play against Providence Tuesday and will remain a game-time decision against the Irish.

“[Page] is improving everyday,” Howland said. “I’m optimistic he’ll be ready to go on Sunday. But I’m just optimistic. That doesn’t mean he’s definite.”

Knight himself has been hampered by ankle and knee injuries all season long. He hasn’t practiced in two weeks, but has continued to play in all of Pitt’s games. He planned on practicing Wednesday and will be in the starting lineup come Sunday.

The game Sunday begins at 3:30 p.m. and will be nationally televised on ABC.