For all the girls I’ve rocked Before

By ADAM RAUFStaff Writer

You Love Me Not: Featuring Lexus Jumps, Loko Phylum, Headcase + 1 TBA

Saturday, 6 p.m…. You Love Me Not: Featuring Lexus Jumps, Loko Phylum, Headcase + 1 TBA

Saturday, 6 p.m.

Club Laga

$5 advance/$5 at the door

(412) 687-4636

Ah, it’s February, and that means Valentine’s Day is around the corner. What better way to show someone you love him or her than by taking the precious Hallmark holiday and making it extremely heavy and intense with some of the most talented local acts that you’ve probably never heard of? The headliners, Lexus Jumps, feature some of the most diverse talent that this city could ever experience.

The band includes one of the best drummers I have seen perform live, who goes by the name of Josh Cohen. Along with his sister, Deb, who can sing and scream your face off, Lexus Jumps will shock and amaze you time and again. Deb’s vocal range is quite formidable, as she can go from Jacob Bannon-style screams that made metalcore heavy hitters Converge famous, to R’B rhythms that would make Erykah Badu green with envy. The music is tight and heavy-hitting from these Meadville, Pa., fiends, often transitioning between monstrous breakdowns to melodic freefalls. They’ve been playing shows consistently and release at least one record a year, including last year’s self-produced EP I from bondage deliver I. It’s a seven-song EP that everyone should definitely check out – but it won’t do their live show justice.

Along with the tragically beautiful prowess of Lexus Jumps will be some other talent that no one knows about. Loko Phylum and Headcase are also on the bill, along with another band to be announced at show time, promising to bring some more energy to this holiday weekend. For more information about the show, you can access Lexus Jumps’ Web site at www.lexusjumps.com.

Wrap your lover in hugs, warm kisses, and a nice dosage of some cutting edge new local music. Who knows, it may just be the best present he or she has ever received, and in turn, you won’t be disappointed with this much talent this weekend.

Editor’s note: Josh Cohen is a senior staff writer for The Pitt News.