Pitt News blind daters reveal all

By KATIE MAVRICH

“Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match. Find me a find, catch me a catch,” begged the… “Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match. Find me a find, catch me a catch,” begged the entries for the first Blind Date contest sponsored by The Pitt News. Selecting the woman was fairly easy, while finding a worthy man proved a bit more challenging. Without further ado, let’s meet the lucky couple.

He: 19-year-old freshman Trevor Jones. He is majoring in “something science-y” and can’t recall when his last date was. He is also a blind date virgin, eager to meet some new people here at Pitt.

She: 18-year-old freshman Laura Duncan. She is a political science/economics major who spent last Valentine’s Day in Washington, D.C., with friends. This is her first blind date.

The plan: A Valentine’s night at the Improv with comedian Gary Owen.

Duncan likes her men tall, funny, intelligent and kind. For Jones, looks are important in the opposite sex. “I’m going to be honest,” he says, “physical beauty is the first thing I look for in a girl.” Beyond looks, he seeks out a sense of humor, intelligence and a well-developed emotional sense.

That being said, his first impression of Duncan was a good one. He thought she was pretty, a nice person and intelligent.

She knew right away that Jones was more friend material than boyfriend material, but pre-show conversation went well as the two got to know each other.

While comedy clubs aren’t Jones’ cup of tea, the pair was entertained by bachelor Gary Owen’s quick-wittedness when it came to dealing with a heckling audience member.

“He was doing his bit about marriage being like eating Cap’n Crunch for breakfast every day, when this drunk lady stood up and yelled, ‘You don’t know a damn thing about marriage!'” Duncan said. “So of course he railed on her for about a half hour. It was hilarious.”

Assistant A’E editor Clare Perretta and senior staff writer Dante A. Ciampaglia chaperoned the date so that, in Perretta’s words, “no one got groped – who didn’t want to be.” The chaperones sat on the opposite side of the dimly lit club, though, because it was filled to capacity. The couple respected themselves and each other, despite lack of direct supervision.

As they went their separate ways, the night ended without a kiss, but Duncan and Jones did the modern thing: They exchanged screen names.

The result: Jones said there may or may not be a second date, but he will definitely pursue a friendship. Duncan’s response regarding a second date: “No, not on my part. He’s just not my type, but I will be friends with him.”

Perhaps The Pitt News will be better matchmakers next time.