Students shouldn’t be left out in the cold

By EDITORIAL

When the basketball team is ranked among the nation’s best, it’s safe to assume there will be… When the basketball team is ranked among the nation’s best, it’s safe to assume there will be some long lines extending from the arena on game day. For those who bought student season tickets and hope to use them during the Pittsburgh winter, this presents a health risk. And while waiting in line before basketball games may not be the most pressing issue Pitt students face, it is certainly worthy of attention because it is something that can be fixed.

Having a student ticket does not guarantee you prime seating, so it’s vital that you arrive at the arena as early as possible. But with temperatures dropping into the single digits in recent weeks, landing a coveted spot in line takes a back seat to staying alive. Students begin arriving at the Petersen Events Center hours before tip-off, but only about the first 400 can fit into the roped-off area in the lobby. If you don’t make the cut, you stand outside until the line gradually works its way in – despite the elements.

According to Scott Michaels, building manager of the Pete, the number of students admitted to wait in the lobby is limited to around 400 in the hope of maintaining a balance between students and the general public. It is believed that if greater numbers of students are allowed to stand inside, other fans will be pushed out.

This argument, which sounds fair on the surface, is flawed for two reasons. First, the Pete’s lobby is huge, and it’s capable of holding more than 400 students without obstructing the entrance for the general public. Also, since regular tickets are marked for individual seats, nonstudent fans generally arrive close to game time. Students, on the other hand, are forced to arrive early since their section is up for grabs. By the time most people arrive, most students have been out of the lobby and in their seats for more than an hour.

Marc Boehm, interim athletics director, has shown concern for the students and inquired as to what can be done to get them inside and out of the cold. His efforts on the students’ behalf – particularly when contrasted with events such as this year’s ticket lottery – are appreciated. They should make a positive impression on the newly-appointed committee that is looking to replace Steve Pederson on a more permanent basis.

The Oakland Zoo is doing great things for Pitt basketball. In return, the administration should see to it that members of the Zoo don’t come down with hypothermia on a weekly basis.