Sex Fair spreads information

By CHRISTIAN SCHOENING

They came in a wide variety of flavors – grape, banana, strawberry, chocolate and even mint -… They came in a wide variety of flavors – grape, banana, strawberry, chocolate and even mint – sure to satisfy any discerning palate, and what’s more, they were free.

Students were encouraged to take as many of these delectable condoms as they wanted from the overflowing baskets and piles on display at Wednesday’s Sex Fair, sponsored by the Campus Women’s Organization.

The Sex Fair, one of a number of events taking place as a part of this week’s sex-themed activities, was held in the William Pitt Union Ballroom and included several tables offering information to students on a variety of sex-related issues, as the risque tune of George Michael’s “I Want Your Sex” played from a corner stereo.

Brett Wiewiora, secretary of CWO, described the relevant timing of the fair.

“Valentine’s Day is coming up, which is traditionally a day of love-making – we’re here [today], to try and provide the implements for a safe love-fest,” he said.

The fair included displays describing contraception, safe sex, women’s health, and gay and lesbian health issues, with the intent of providing a wide variety of information in one place.

Nervous students giggled as representatives from the Family Health Council explained the proper way to use a female condom.

One student declared, “I have honestly never seen one of these things before,” when she was introduced to a dental dam at the Planned Parenthood display.

FHC representative Shavon Lee said she thought the reason most students were drawn to the event was the advertisements for free condoms.

To spread the word, Wiewiora made regular rounds through the Union wearing a Vagina Monologues red T-shirt, stapled with packets of condoms and a sign taped to the front that read “Free Condoms in Ballroom.”

Lee went on to explain that once students made their rounds from table to table, questions and concerns were voiced about STDs, testing centers, emergency contraception and other forms of birth control.

Lee was surprised to see that more men were picking up information pamphlets on birth control than girls.

Student Brooks Renoll, who originally came “for the free stuff,” said he picked up information on emergency contraception “because it is better to be safe than sorry.”

He said that more men should be aware of contraception options.

“It is just as much our responsibility as the woman’s, who probably already knows about it,” Renoll said.

Lee quizzed many of the students who came to her table, asking them to name four different types of birth control methods, “and a lot of them were getting stuff that I didn’t expect them to get, and some where mentioning abstinence.”

Former student, Morris Jackson, was concerned that the Sex Fair did not better address the choice of abstinence.

“One thing, and this is my personal opinion, is that there needs to be more of a focus on abstinence, and people keeping themselves until marriage,” he said.

But most students attending the event thought the fair was a much-needed event.

“This is a good idea, because sometimes students get crazy and do some stupid stuff,” student Bahdua Sirleaf said.

A concerned mother said she was picking up a handful of condoms to put in her son’s sock drawer.

CWO Vice President Jocelyn Horner said the fair provided an “open format for people to get the information that they want, [though] people always feel uncomfortable at first.”

Alison Bodenhemier, the president of CWO, said she agreed that the Sex Fair is essential because most students come to Pitt without much information. She said this was because Pennsylvania law does not require sex education, instead it only requires STD education.

“Pitt has a responsibility as an education institution, and should be trying to help its students in all facets of life,” Bodenhemier said.