‘Operation Pipe Dreams’ is just that

By Editorial

On Monday, Attorney General John Ashcroft announced the successful completion of a national… On Monday, Attorney General John Ashcroft announced the successful completion of a national sweep to crackdown on retailers, distributors and Internet sites that sell illegal drug paraphernalia. The investigation, known as “Operation Pipe Dreams,” led to the indictment of 27 individuals nationwide, including seven indictments involving businesses in Western Pennsylvania. One of these businesses was Oakland’s own Tela Ropa, making the investigation hit close to home.

But “Operation Pipe Dreams” – though it boasts terrific results and will be praised as a feather in Ashcroft’s hat – makes one fundamental oversight: Drug paraphernalia doesn’t get people high, – drugs do.

According to a U.S. Department of Justice press release, drug paraphernalia is defined as “products that are primarily intended or designed to be used in ingesting, inhaling or otherwise using controlled substances, and include user-friendly and dealer-friendly devices. Items such as miniature scales, substances for ‘cutting’ or diluting raw narcotics, bongs, marijuana pipes, roach clips, miniature spoons and cocaine freebase kits.”

If the Department of Justice wants to wage a war on drugs, it ought to do just that. Cracking down on companies like Tela Ropa that deal in things such as tie-dye clothing and pipes – which could arguably be used for tobacco or as collector’s items – is like killing weeds by trimming the leaves.

Over the decades, pot smokers have proven themselves to be some of the most resourceful people in the world. There is not a single household item that cannot be used to smoke pot. And if cocaine use is to be prevented by this investigation, the government will need to crack down on razor blades, credit cards, mirrors, rolled up hundred dollar bills and strippers’ asses. Arresting businesses for selling pipes or bongs is good for a federal pat on the back, but it will do nothing to deter drug users.

This investigation was widespread, involving members of the Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Marshals Service, U.S. Secret Service, U.S. Postal Inspection Service and the U.S. Customs Service. In other words, the government devoted some serious time and manpower to carrying out raids across the country. This was a major project that will not affect drug use, and could only be justified if the country was burdened with millions of leftover tax dollars and empty jail cells that needed to be filled.

Ashcroft’s efforts may prevent hippies from buying ’60s wear at Tela Ropa, but they will not achieve their goals. Drug enthusiasts will do drugs as long as they have them, proper equipment or not.