Pitt crushes Hoyas, 92-67

By KEVIN NASHStaff Writer

Senior guard Laine Selwyn dropped 22 points to help the Pitt women’s basketball team beat Big… Senior guard Laine Selwyn dropped 22 points to help the Pitt women’s basketball team beat Big East foe Georgetown, 92-72, in Washington, D.C., last night, snapping a two-game losing stride.

The Panthers (10-8 Overall, 2-5 Big East) redeemed themselves from their previous meeting with the Hoyas in 2002, which Pitt lost, 73-56, after beating Georgetown (11-6, 2-4) early on in the 2001-2002 season. Pitt’s last victory vs. the Hoyas was a 63-61 victory on Jan. 5, 2002.

Pitt took advantage of the Hoyas’ dismal shooting in the first half. The Hoyas shot nine-of-27 from the field in the first half compared to the Panthers, who converted 13-of-31 shots from the floor. Georgetown was also three-of-nine from the foul line compared to Pitt’s 13-of-14.

The Panthers were able to hit five-of-nine three-pointers while Georgetown was only able to connect on one-of-seven in the first half. As a result of the Hoyas’ low first half output, Pitt went into the locker room at the half with a 44-22 lead.

Georgetown came out with better numbers in the second half, as it made 15-of-36 shots from the field. The Hoyas also hit six-of-15 three-pointers and was 14-of-14 from the free-throw line.

In total, Georgetown scored 50 second-half points, but it was too little, too late. The Panthers kept pace with the Hoyas as they scored 47 second half points.

Pitt actually had a better shooting percentage in the second half, as it was 13-of-20 from the field and they nailed three-of-five from beyond the arc. Selwyn was three-for-three from three-point range and sophomore guard Amy Kunich hit two-of-three from beyond the arc.

Selwyn’s 22 points led the Panthers in scoring, and senior guard Brooke Stewart was right behind her with 19 points. Stewart shot five-of-seven from the field and nailed two-of-four three-pointers. Kunich contributed 14 points and tied center Mandy Wittenmyer, who contributed eight points, for the team lead in rebounds with eight.

Georgetown guard Mary Lisicky was the game’s leading scorer as she scored 27 points. Lisicky also added two steals and three assists.

The Panthers are next in action against Big East rival St. John’s on Feb. 1 at 2 p.m. at the Petersen Events Center.