The sounds of science: Pittsburgh Sound Project goes online

By KATIE MAVRICH

Alright Pitt, listen up. Here is your chance to rock the vote without registering, going to… Alright Pitt, listen up. Here is your chance to rock the vote without registering, going to the polls or even doing extensive research on the candidates. Pittsburgh City Paper, Cobweb Internet and local Dodge dealers have combined efforts to bring you The Pittsburgh Sound Project.

This contest features 80 undiscovered local bands competing for the grand prize: a chance to perform at the Hard Rock Cafe at Station Square, a cash prize, construction of a Web site and recording studio time. But this cannot happen without your help.

Log onto www.pghsoundproject.com starting tonight until Feb.16 to hear 20 new songs each week. Then, vote on which ones you liked best, and even download them if you want. How often are you able to download local, undiscovered music from Kazaa or Audio Galaxy? Your votes will determine the weekly winners, and two additional winners based on total votes overall.

Democratic elections don’t give you anything other than a chance to pick a government official – and as we all know, sometimes receiving the most votes does not mean you are the winner. But the Pittsburgh Sound Project gives each voter a chance to win a weekend excursion to Seven Springs Resort.

Imagine that – helping a talented band get somewhere and possibly getting yourself somewhere, too, all by simply clicking your mouse.