Get your art on

By KATIE MAVRICH

University Day + Night

Carnegie Museum of Art

3 p.m.

Free

(412) 622-3131

The Carnegie… University Day + Night

Carnegie Museum of Art

3 p.m.

Free

(412) 622-3131

The Carnegie Museum of Art is always free with those glorious Panther Cards. This weekend is no exception, but their University Day + Night events make it all the more reason to wander past the Cathedral of Learning to the place with the now frozen fountains.

Free for both University students and faculty, the event begins at 3 p.m. with a lecture by architects Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown about their exhibit, “Out of the Ordinary: The Architecture and Design of Robert Venturi, Denise Scott Brown and Associates.” With their mix of historical and pop culture influences in their structures, critics have called the pair “founders of Postmodernism.”

Galleries open at 5 p.m., and you can head back to childhood as you go on a treasure hunt and decorate your own building as part of their exhibit.

If you miss watching Lamb Chop or the Muppets then watch Christian Jankowski’s “Puppet Conference” film. You can even take home a souvenir that you didn’t pay for in a pricey gift shop – your own homemade finger puppet!

And, in case you have been living in a box and haven’t checked out “Panopticon: An Art Spectacular,” now is your chance. To see it all, you simply have to spin around 360 degrees. But do it slowly, so that you do actually get to admire the work displayed in 19th century style.

If all of the excitement is making you hungry, the Barrett Black Band performs at 5:30 p.m. and you can snack on some free food.

And if you are adventurous rather than artsy, pile into a car and head on up to Punxsutawney to see if Phil sees his shadow.