Student pedestrians must be cautious

By EDITORIAL

As an urban campus, Pitt sits atop a giant grid of intersecting streets. Two of Pittsburgh’s… As an urban campus, Pitt sits atop a giant grid of intersecting streets. Two of Pittsburgh’s largest thoroughfares – Forbes and Fifth avenues – split the campus into three sections, making it impossible to get anywhere of importance without crossing several roadways. Add thousands of pedestrians to the equation, and a dangerous environment results. This frequent interaction between man and machine presents a serious threat to student safety, and it is not to be taken lightly.

Thomas Vandora, a 19-year-old Pitt student, was struck and killed by a Port Authority bus Friday night near Fifth and Bellefield avenues. The Jan. 11 edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the 54C bus driver never saw Vandora, and did not stop the bus until a truck driver who had witnessed the accident pulled in front of the bus to stop it. The incident was ruled an accident.

The details are still few and unclear at this point, but the occurrence must serve as a reminder to students that being a pedestrian in Oakland is often dangerous.

In the fall of 2001, Pitt seniors Matt Gaydos and Jennifer Piesetzkie had to be hospitalized after being struck by a minivan on Bigelow Boulevard. Bigelow has developed a notorious reputation in recent years for its congested vehicle traffic and the large amount of student pedestrians en route to the Cathedral. Despite efforts on the part of the University and Pitt police to caution drivers using crosswalks and reflective “yield to pedestrian signs,” the street remains a threat to students.

Throughout campus, vehicles make walking dangerous. Cars, trucks, buses and even bicycles try to navigate town as quickly as they can, and speed often trumps caution. Being a pedestrian in Oakland means being constantly aware of the surroundings, always on the lookout. Incoming freshmen always get the safety speech, but it wears off over time. By the time they become sophomores, the fear is gone.

Signs and crosswalks are helpful, but they offer no real security against careless or distracted drivers. And though sidewalks keep pedestrians off the street, people must still be aware of close-by, fast-moving Port Authority buses.

Everyone becomes a pedestrian at some point in the day – it’s unavoidable. So it is vitally important that everyone become an aware pedestrian as well.