Kenzi Snider indicted in South Korea

On Jan. 16 of this year Kenzi Snider was indicted in South Korea on the formal charge of… On Jan. 16 of this year Kenzi Snider was indicted in South Korea on the formal charge of killing through injury, according to the Council of Legal Affairs at the Korean Embassy in Washington.

Last October, a West Virginia judge found sufficient evidence and probable cause to extradite Snider, the formal Marshall University student. Snider is accused of murdering Pitt student Jamie Lynn Penich in 2001.

An anonymous source at the embassy said assuming Snider was formally arrested in South Korea in mid-December, she will be tried in a district court in mid-May.

This is in accordance with South Korean law, which states that a person must be tried within six months of their arrest.

The charge of killing through injury is the equivalent to a second-degree murder charge in the United States. The embassy source explained that the charge implies that the intention was not to kill, only to injure, but death resulted.

If found guilty, she will be sentenced to three to 15 years in a South Korean prison, according to the embassy source.

The source also added that if the district judge finds Snider innocent of all charges, the prosecution would have the opportunity to appeal the decision and Snider could potentially face a second trial. In the event that such an appeal is denied, Snider would be free to return to the United States, the source said.