Wrestling defeats Virginia Tech

By KEVIN NASHStaff Writer

As Pitt’s wrestling team clung to a 4-3 lead, junior Joshua Birt got the Panthers rolling with… As Pitt’s wrestling team clung to a 4-3 lead, junior Joshua Birt got the Panthers rolling with a pin in their 31-9 victory over the Virginia Tech Hokies Saturday at Fitzgerald Field House.

Birt, 197 pounds, used his size advantage over the Hokies’ Tomas Ovalle who is listed at 174 pounds. The size difference was apparent in the first period when both wrestlers simultaneously went for the takedown. Birt grabbed Ovalle’s ankle and spun around the back for the takedown.

Ovalle was able to escape, but Birt recorded another takedown in the first period when he was able to trip up Ovalle and keep his feet in bounds. Birt followed the takedown with a tilt, which earned him two near-fall points, making the score 6-1 at the end of the first period.

In the second period, Birt escaped from the bottom position. Birt proceeded to take Ovalle to his back and then pinned him in a cradle. By the end of Birt’s match, the Panthers (6-3 overall, 2-1 Eastern Wrestling League) had scored all the points they would need to win the match, since they were ahead of the Hokies, 10-3.

“That’s the one that really helped,” head coach Rande Stottlemyer said. “It kicked us into high gear.”

Redshirt senior Carl Fronhofer got Pitt started with a 10-0 major decision over Virginia Tech’s Steve Borja at 174 pounds.

Fronhofer took Borja down in the first period and used a tilt to gain three near-fall points. It was a quiet second period as the only points scored was on a Fronhofer escape. Fronhofer used a similar formula in third period as he had used in the first period as he took Borja down and tilted him for two more near-fall points.

The 184-pound bout followed Fronhofer’s match as Pitt’s Mike Croyle squared off with the Hokies’ Scott Justus. Justus used six takedowns, two near-fall points and two escapes to secure a 10-5 victory. Croyle was able to avoid a major decision, making the team score 4-3 in Pitt’s favor.

Pitt’s Robert Kail followed Birt’s pin with a 5-2 victory over Virginia Tech’s Pete Pool. In an unusual move for a heavyweight, Kail perfected a single leg take down in the second period after a scoreless first period.

Pool was able to escape, making the score 2-1 going into the third period. Kail was able to reverse Pool when Pool attempted to throw his legs in. Kail countered by controlling Pool’s ankle and sliding out of the back door. Pool escaped again, but Kail held on for the victory.

Freshman Jordan Sianni received a forfeit at 125 pounds. Sianni’s forfeit was followed by a Mike Ciotti loss to the Hokies’ Dalton Head at 133 pounds. After two scoreless periods, Head was aided by a stalling call on Ciotti, which was followed by an escape that led to a takedown, making the final score 5-0.

Pitt’s Ronald Tarquinio used three takedowns late in the match to secure a 7-5 comeback victory over Virginia Tech’s Jim Miller at 141 pounds. Down 2-0 late in the second period, Tarquinio was finally able to escape from the bottom and take Miller down, giving him a 3-2 lead. Tarquinio took Miller down twice in the third period to secure the victory.

“I thought Tarquinio showed a lot of composure,” Stottlemyer said. “He wasn’t having his best match.”

Senior Justin Giovinco made quick work of the Hokies’ Reed Carpenter at 149 pounds. Giovinco hit a headlock with 16 seconds left in the first period and the referee slapped the mat with just two seconds left.

At 157 pounds, Justin Nestor loss 5-4 to Virginia Tech’s Chris Stith after falling behind 4-1 early. Francis Iorfido finished the meet with a 5-2 victory over the Hokies’ Mike Cox at 165 pounds.

“We are growing up. The road is going to get tougher and I’m looking forward to the challenge,” Stottlemyer said. “The next few matches will be tight and I’m anxious to see them compete.”

There were six freshmen in the starting line and Stottlemyer said he is grateful to his seniors for helping to hold the team together. Before the match, Fronhofer and Giovinco were honored along with fellow seniors James Thornton and Andy Villecco.

“Those guys have done a great job,” Stottlemyer said. “Carl is a student athlete; Gio’s hanging in there with a shoulder injury. Being a backup is one of the hardest jobs in the world and Thornton has been one of the best. I have a lot of respect for these guys.”

Pitt’s win over Virginia Tech (0-8, 0-3) was its fifth in a row. The Panthers are next in action at EWL rival Clarion Feb. 4 at 7:30 p.m.

“Anytime you are competing with a conference foe it is good to get a win.” Stottlemyer said.