Pelusi has stellar season in goal

By BOBBY PUGHStaff Writer

Coming into the 2002 season, freshman goalkeeper Jamie Pelusi just wanted the opportunity to… Coming into the 2002 season, freshman goalkeeper Jamie Pelusi just wanted the opportunity to play.

With the graduation of two-time Big East Goalkeeper Rachel Brown, Pelusi would get her chance.

Pelusi not only earned the opportunity to play, but she made a name for herself in the process. As a result of Pelusi’s play, she has been named the Freshman Female Athlete of the Fall by The Pitt News sports staff.

However, the void that Pelusi would be responsible for filling became much easier as a result of Brown returning as a coach on the team. Brown’s influence along with Pelusi’s competitive, coachable nature would lead the freshman to a lot of early success.

In her first four games in goal, Pelusi registered two shutouts in addition to an assist. With the stingy play of Pelusi, the Panthers darted to a 3-1 start on the season.

However, after the quick start, the Panthers hit a snag.

During the Panthers’ 12-game losing streak, Pelusi would face an increased number of shots and more odd number rushes.

Despite the increase in activity, Pelusi maintained her composure and as a result would vault into the Big East Conference’s lead in saves per game, a position, which she held until the end of the season.

Pelusi faced an average of 17.84 shots per game this season, while denying 7.32 shots on net per game. On the season, Pelusi posted a .743 save average.