All-over watercolor

By DAWN DIEHL

Four Directions

Through Nov. 16

Studio Z Gallery

1415 E. Carson St.

(412) 381-6400

For… Four Directions

Through Nov. 16

Studio Z Gallery

1415 E. Carson St.

(412) 381-6400

For nearly half a century, Ruth Richardson worked tirelessly to help disadvantaged people reach their dreams.

After founding and serving as executive director of Three Rivers Youth, Richardson retired from social work in 1991. That’s when she was finally able to reach for her own lifelong dream – to paint as an artist.

“I graduated from St. Louis University in 1948. I was one of the first blacks to go to school … when discrimination was at its peak. Then I wanted to go to art school at Washington University, but the art school was closed to blacks. But the graduate school was just opening up in social work. So, I went there. I made a lot of friends and then decided that in social work I was going to try to work with people, so they wouldn’t have to face what I faced,” Richardson said.

Richardson’s exhibit at the South Side’s Studio Z Gallery, “Four Directions,” features watercolor paintings that depict landscapes, children, abstract images and flowers.

Many of the flower paintings are large and dominated by one or two bright and delicate blossoms. Orchids, roses, daffodils, and chrysanthemums are displayed in hues of lavender, yellow, pink and salmon – but Richardson sees more than just “pretty” in the flowers she paints.

“Most of my paintings try to express the diversity in the world and the fact that we all come from the same place. The flowers remind me of things that happen with families. When I started painting flowers, I started looking at them from a different aspect – not just pretty flowers, but things in nature that grew and grew much like human beings,” she said.

Richardson’s watercolor technique is captivating. Translucent layers of color combine to produce images of surprising depth and presence, particularly in the landscapes. “From my Studio Window” shows a mysteriously inviting stand of trees at the edge of a field lush with tall grass.

“Evening Time,” a meditative seascape, depicts a sunset. Richardson has created vast spatial depth in this small work using atmospheric perspective with unusual shades of mauve and olive green. A bright, pink sun in the upper-right of the composition provides a contrast to the muted, moody colors of the sultry seascape, evoking optimism and renewal.

Snowy landscapes are mesmerizing. In “Landmark” and “White Blanket,” blue and violet shadows against a field of white capture the rich softness of blankets of new snow.

“Flowers from One Garden” is an image not of flowers, but of wide-eyed children representing a diversity of races. Regarding the painting of children, Richardson explains, “I like to paint about life, so I like to do a lot with children and their expressions because they’re very innocent.”

“Four Directions” is a free exhibit and the gallery is open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.