How safe is Pitt?

By NATALIE MILLER

Vice Provost and Interim Dean of Students Jack Daniel opened last night’s tolerance forum… Vice Provost and Interim Dean of Students Jack Daniel opened last night’s tolerance forum with a challenge to the 60 or so in attendance.

“Don’t hold back,” Daniel said. “If there’s a problem on campus, I want it to be addressed so that we can focus on solutions.”

About 15 students took advantage of the two microphones set up for the public to voice concerns. A panel comprised of 10 university affiliates, from Student Government Board President Kevin Washo Jr. to Chief of Pitt police Tim Delaney, offered advice and input.

While the forum was originally intended to focus on tolerance, the majority of dialogue dealt with campus safety. SGB member Pat Creighton opened the discussion by saying that something needed to be done to ensure safety for all students.

Several other students also spoke about the fear they have felt on campus. One was SGB member Andrea DeChellis, who said she had been attacked on campus twice since her freshman year.

Delaney expressed his dedication to preventing more violence from occurring on campus.

“I am trying to speed it up as much as I can,” Delaney said. “One attack is too many.”

In response to the suggestion that more blue emergency lights be placed around campus, he said, while it may help, two attacks in the last two weeks have occurred during the day. He said other measures need to be taken, such as “giving back control to the victim.”

Daniel said the fear felt by students is understandable considering the recent violence on campus, in the Washington, D.C.-area and worldwide.

Jay Ver, president of Asian Students Alliance, said he came to Pitt because, compared to Philadelphia, “the safety here is great.” He said he thought Pittsburgh was the nicest city, until he attended an SGB meeting. According to Ver, students who have experienced fear and intolerance on campus are taking out their frustrations on SGB. He then asked the 10 panelists whom students should contact to bring about results.

“It needs to be documented,” Daniel said. “You bring it to me and see what happens. You bring it to Tim Delaney and see what happens.”

There was a consensus among panelists and students that more people need to be proactive in preventing intolerance and violence on campus. Several resident advisers and student group leaders said the programs they sponsor to get information out to students are sparsely attended. One of the things students aren’t receiving, according to Ver, is information about reporting incidents.

Washo said the most important thing that can be done is bridging the gap between reported and unreported assaults. Daniel agreed and said he has set up a student advisement group, comprised of elected presidents of governance groups, to deal with such issues.

SGB member Andrew Hutelmyer said another problem lies in the fact that students feel a false sense of security on campus. He said people would participate more if they weren’t so naive about crime on campus.

“I want every student to be aware of what’s going on on campus,” Daniel said. “And what we’re doing here tonight it one way we can start to alleviate some of these concerns.”