Faculty member dies in housefire

By JESS WADDELL

“A light has gone out in the communications department,” Regina Renk said about her friend of… “A light has gone out in the communications department,” Regina Renk said about her friend of 15 years, Janet McCarthy.

McCarthy, administrative assistant in the communications department, died in a house fire in Beechview on the evening of Sept. 12. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

McCarthy had three grown children and seven grandchildren. According to Renk, her family was the most important part of her life.

Renk reminisced about her friend, saying, “She loved the Pittsburgh Steelers.” Renk added that McCarthy liked to camp, golf and bowl.

Renk said, with a laugh, that McCarthy was known as the “Soup Lady” in the Cathedral Cafe because she always ate soup, any kind.

“She was always a very kind person with a positive attitude.” Renk said and continued by saying that McCarthy always tried to help make others feel better.

Dr. John Lyne, professor in the department, expressed his sadness for the tragedy. McCarthy was, he said, “at the center of our operations and is much missed.”

He pointed out how essential her position was to one of the largest majors in the University.

“Her work affected a great many students,” he said

Kelly Lloyd, Manager for payroll and personnel, worked with McCarthy and said, whole-heartedly, “Janet was an excellent administrator.”

In June 1979, McCarthy was hired as a secretary in Pitt’s speech and theater arts department. In 1980, she was promoted to administrative assistant in the department of speech and theater arts. In 1983, the position was reclassified and she became the administrative assistant for the communications department.