Streak reaches 10 games for Pitt women’s soccer

By BOBBY PUGHStaff Writer

The Pitt women’s soccer team was still in search of a spark on offense when the team took to… The Pitt women’s soccer team was still in search of a spark on offense when the team took to the road last weekend to take on Providence and Boston College.

The weekend didn’t begin or end as planned for the Panthers, as the team was handed its 10th consecutive loss with a 2-0 defeat by the Providence Friars on Friday.

On Sunday, the Panthers found themselves again on the short end of things when they were handed a 3-1 verdict by Boston College. The losses dropped the Panthers overall record to 3-12-0 including a Big East mark of 0-9.

Providence 2, Pitt 0

The Friars took charge of this game from the kickoff. Providence applied some early pressure and was rewarded for its efforts when Shannon McMorrow charged the Panther goal and blasted the ball home just four minutes into the game.

With a 1-0 lead, the Friars looked to build on their early lead and wouldn’t have to wait very long for its second and final goal of the day.

In the 23rd minute of play, Kerry O’Malley slipped through the Panther defense and managed to shoot the ball past the Panther keeper Jamie Pelusi.

Pitt continued to sputter throughout the game in the offensive end of the field, just like it has throughout its losing streak. Pitt once again found itself searching for someone to push through to make something happen.

The Panthers were outshot by the Friars 26 to nine, but did hold the edge in the corner kicks six to four. Corner kicks have been a weakness in terms of goal production for the Panthers this season and as a result the offense has suffered.

In the losing effort, Pelusi turned away 15 shots on net, while the Providence keeper, Caroline Haines, denied four shots from the Panthers. The 15 saves by Pelusi marked a season high for her and was one save away from tying the school record of 16 saves set by Rachael Brown last season.

Boston College 3, Pitt 1

On Sunday, the Panthers looked to shake off their Friday defeat and get their first win in a month when they visited Chestnut Hill, Mass.

The Panthers took the momentum early in the game by netting the first goal of the match. Kendall Enmark threaded a pass to Erin Hills, who navigated through the Eagle defense and booted the ball just inside the far post to give the Panthers a 1-0 lead.

The goal was Hills’ third on the season and gave the Panthers their first lead since scoring the first goal of the game against West Virginia back on Sept. 18.

The Panthers carried the one goal lead into the half, but the Eagles would strike back quickly in the second half.

Four minutes into the half, Sarah Rahko pounded a free kick downfield, which found an open Katie McGregor, who put the ball away to knot the game at one apiece.

Then, just three minutes later, the Eagles struck again. This time, Lindsey Fairweather took a crossing pass from Kelly Lavery and kicked the ball into the open side of the net for a 2-1 Eagle lead.

Looking for an insurance goal, the Eagles would not be denied. Late in the second half, a shot to the left corner of the net by Katherine Halloran gave Boston College the 3-1 victory.

In the second half alone, the Panthers were outshot 17 to two and 23 to five for the entire game. The Eagles’ keeper Kate Taylor stopped three shots, while Pelusi was able to knock down five Eagle shots, and continued to lead the Big East in saves per game average with 7.18 saves per contest.

The Panthers return to action this afternoon, when they travel across town to challenge the Robert Morris Colonials with game time set for 4 p.m.