Get the look: Rock costumes

By KATIE MAVRICH

Halloween is a time where regular people can throw caution to the wind and become someone they… Halloween is a time where regular people can throw caution to the wind and become someone they aren’t – from ghosts to sexy construction workers or strippers and rock stars.

Dressing up as members of a band is perfect for people going as a group. It doesn’t even have to get fancy; three guys dressed up as Slash, Axl Rose and Duff from Guns ‘N Roses generated quite a stir at Jeckyl ‘n’ Hyde’s costume party last Saturday night on the South Side, and they only wore T-shirts, jeans and wigs. Slash of course had his trademark black hat and nose ring on.

To be Gene Simmons or any other member of KISS, the only items necessary are black clothes, some black and white face paint and some spikes to complete the look. People will have no trouble knowing that this costume means rocking and rolling all night. Kimberly Wick, manager of Costume World in the Strip says KISS is quite a popular Halloween costume. “Year in and year out, the most requested band costume is defiantly KISS,” she said.

Despite this large demand, they only carry two KISS costumes for renting. “The boots and spikes break,” Wick said. Renting costumes run about $65 for three days at Costume World in the Strip, and a credit card is required for the security deposit.

A GWAR costume is slightly more elaborate. The basics are some sort of leather underwear that covers only what needs to be covered. Any kind of body armor, metal or plastic spikes, huge fake feet and a monstrous mask will help create the look of this ridiculous band.

Hair bands from the ’80s are always fun and easy, too. Guys can just throw on a pair of tight pants and a T-shirt. Tease a blond wig and keep it in place with lots of hair spray. Bonus points for Aqua Net. Don’t forget the makeup – black eyeliner, over-accentuated blush and hot pink lipstick will transform ordinary boys into the members of Motley Crue.

This year’s most popular rock star costume is brought to you by MTV. Who else but Ozzy Osbourne has been the most inquired about at Costume World in the Strip?

For the Beatles’ Sergeant Pepper look, or any other look that the Beatles sported in the ’60s and ’70s, Crimes of Fashion in Oakland is the best bet. It is a vintage clothing store, not a costume shop, but vintage clothing always makes for a good, cheap costume. Packed tight with funky clothes, it seems that some of Elton John’s elaborate get-ups have landed themselves here.

After paying a mere $10 for a pair of pants at Crimes of Fashion, why not go as Prince, David Lee Roth or Marilyn Manson? Be bold – take a pair of scissors and snip the back out for your own pair of assless pants.

With this costume genre, there is plenty of room for creativity. It’s pretty easy to pull off a band’s look, and if someone guesses that the look is the Beatles when it is actually the Strokes, no problem – it’s Halloween and nothing is what it seems.