Swimming and diving win against the Bonnies

By DON NGUYEN

The men’s swimming team posted a 186-57 victory while the women won 165-78 as the Panthers… The men’s swimming team posted a 186-57 victory while the women won 165-78 as the Panthers opened their home dual meet schedule on Friday at Trees Pool.

Returning from losses at Washington a week earlier, the Panthers rebounded against St. Bonaventure to even their records to 1-1.

While content with both of Friday’s victories, head coach Chuck Knoles noted his expectations for better performances from the men’s side of the squad.

“Our performance on the women’s side of the meet was far superior to our meet against Washington,” Knoles said. “On the men’s side, however, this meet against St. Bonaventure was rather slow with the exception of Darryl Washington’s 50 [meter] freestyle.”

Washington emerged victorious in the 50 freestyle with a time of 21.14 seconds. The mark was not only a career best, but also a Big East qualifying time for the year-end conference event.

“Darryl Washington was probably the biggest surprise on the men’s side,” Knoles said after the meet.

Team captains Mike Grube and Eric Limkemann reinforced their places as two of the conference’s best swimmers as they both qualified for the Big East championships with victories in each of their events.

Limkemann made the Big East “A” cut time with his 15:53.65 finish in the 1,650 freestyle, while Grube later competed in the 100 freestyle and qualified for the conference championships with his time of 46.76 seconds.

“Eric and Mike are flat out some of the best dual meet swimmers in the country,” Knoles said. “They like to win and most of the time they figure out how to do that no matter who they are competing against.”

Junior Adam Webber posted individual victories in the 200 and 500 freestyle with respective times of 1:43.38 and 4:42.04. Webber’s time in the 200 freestyle earned him a qualifying “B” cut place at the championships.

On the women’s side, three swimmers posted qualifying times in one event as Emily Colley (17:04.71), Kate Butrie (17:35.43) and Rubi Cisneros (17:37.84) swept the first, second and third places.

Junior Carolyne Savini continued the women’s success in the next event as she won the 200 freestyle with the clock stopped at 1:53.60, yet another Big East qualifying time.

“Carolyne had an awesome performance in the 200 freestyle,” Knoles said. “It was a lifetime best.”

Savini also earned a Big East “A” cut time in the 100 freestyle, as she touched the wall in 52.03 seconds.

In the diving competitions, Colleen Kristobak won both events from 1 and 3 meters up. On the men’s side, diver Dennis Nemtsanov also swept both events with scores of 321.3 and 295.2, respectively.

Just a day after the College Swim Coaches Association of America placed the Panthers 25th in the nationwide poll, Knoles noted that the early season performances are encouraging. Knoles, however, also admits that there are quite a few wrinkles for the team to iron out.

In addition to desired improvements in the men’s individual times, Knoles felt that his squad’s relay exchanges were “very, very weak.” Knoles thankfully pointed out, however, that the “Big East championships and the NCAA championship are a ways off,” and that the time ahead would give the team a chance to “work on weaknesses.”

Next, both the men’s and women’s teams travel to West Lafayette, Ind., to face Big Ten competition Purdue and Northwestern on Friday, Nov. 8.

“We will have to be much sharper than we were against St. Bonaventure and Washington to put a dent in the Boilermakers or the Wildcats,” Knoles said. “It will be interesting to see who from our team shows up to the race.”