Witness saw sniper, but still no sketch avaliable

By NEWS IN BRIEF

Police say witnesses saw sniper, but composite not possible

WASHINGTON – Police are… Police say witnesses saw sniper, but composite not possible

WASHINGTON – Police are unable to produce a composite drawing of the Washington suburban sniper, despite at least two witnesses who say they saw him shoot the latest victim at a Home Depot parking lot in Falls Church, Va., Monday night.

Police said it was too dark, the witnesses were too far away and the excitement may have affected them. One witness also reported that the sniper used an AK-74 assault rifle, but police urged caution and said the public shouldn’t focus on only one gun. In other developments, the White House said President Bush wants to explore whether to require ballistic fingerprinting for guns.

– Ken Moritsugu, Tony Pugh and Ben Finley

Knight Ridder Tribune

Indonesia signals possible crackdown on terrorists

JAKARTA, Indonesia – Indonesia’s government signaled Wednesday that it finally may be ready to crack down on Islamic terrorists. Foreign Minister Hassan Wirayuda told reporters the government is making preparations to issue an emergency anti-terrorism decree that will give authorities legal tools needed to combat extremists.

In other developments, police disclosed that the Bali bombing that killed more than 180 people originated in a minivan whose roof had been packed with C-4 plastic explosives.

– Michael Dorgan

Knight Ridder Tribune

Texas college town cracking down on parties

For years, the reputation of Southwest Texas State University as a party school has spread far and wide, and the late-night festivities sometimes spilled over into the peaceful city of 39,000 surrounding the school.

University officials contend that the rowdy reputation is as outdated as the days when the drinking age was 18, but city leaders say the university remains in party mode. The problem got so bad last year, they say, that the San Marcos City Council passed ordinances to curb the parties, which tend to migrate from bars and fraternity houses into residential areas in the early morning hours.

– Rebeca Rodriguez

Knight Ridder Tribune

D.C.-area sniper kills Penn State graduate

(U-WIRE) UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The terror of a serial sniper stalking the Washington, D.C.-area for the past two weeks hit home when a Pennsylvania State University alumnus was struck down last Wednesday.

Dean Harold Meyers, 53, of Gaithersburg, Md., became the seventh victim of the unknown killer. He was shot while filling his gas tank across the street from his office at Dewberry ‘ Davis, in Manassas, Va.

A Penn State graduate with a degree in civil engineering, Meyers was also a Vietnam veteran, having been drafted into the Army after attending high school in his hometown of Obelisk, Pa., near Philadelphia.

After graduating from Penn State in 1975, Meyers moved to Manassas, Va., to work for R.B. Thomas, a civil engineering firm.

Mike Mullen worked with Meyers at R.B. Thomas and said he was shocked when he learned of his death.

“I couldn’t believe it was him when I heard it on the radio,” Mullen said. “I thought, ‘No, it has to be a different guy.'”

He said his fears were realized when he ran into some of Meyers’ co-workers later that day.

“It really hits home when somebody you know is killed,” Mullen said. “He was really nice. He didn’t argue with anyone and would do anything for you.”

– Joe Carey

Daily Collegian (Pennsylvania State University)