Cheney invite sparks protest; Indiana U. porn filmers investigated

By NEWS IN BRIEF

Black colleges struggling to survive as debts mount

ATLANTA – Now, $23 million in… Black colleges struggling to survive as debts mount

ATLANTA – Now, $23 million in debt and its accreditation threatened because of alleged mishandling of student financial aid, Morris Brown College faces an indefinite future. Eventually, the doors could close for good at the once thriving private institution founded by the African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1885, 22 years after the Emancipation Proclamation.

What has happened at Morris Brown is tragic but not unique. Across America, many of the 103 historically black colleges and universities are struggling to stay afloat, including some state-run institutions. Since 1976, at least a dozen have closed because of poor funding and problems among their leadership. Six are on probation.

-Dahleen Glanton

Knight Ridder Tribune

Invite to Cheney prompts protest at University of Pennsylvania

PHILADELPHIA – What philanthropist and chemical company magnate Jon M. Huntsman intended as a private party to christen the Wharton Building that bears his name has become a lightning rod for student activists opposed to a possible war with Iraq, because of a party guest list headlined by Vice President Cheney.

A cadre of student activists at the University of Pennsylvania are hoping a few cardboard-cutout skulls and three well-placed tents can prod their peers to protest when Cheney visits campus Friday.

-James M. O’Neill