Women’s soccer pulls off upset victory, 3-2

By BOBBY PUGHStaff Writer

For much of the season, the Pitt women’s soccer team has been searching for someone to step up… For much of the season, the Pitt women’s soccer team has been searching for someone to step up and provide the offensive spark to carry it to the next level and to get back on track. Sunday afternoon at Founders Field showed the Panthers not only found their spark, but they also earned a 3-2 come from behind win over Virginia Commonwealth University, the seventh ranked team in the Mid-Atlantic Region.

“This was a good win over a quality team in our region,” head coach Roland Sturk said after the win. “It would have been nice to have beaten Robert Morris on Wednesday, but I think this win means much more.”

The victory against the Rams raised the Panthers’ season record to 4-13-0, while the loss dropped VCU to 11-3-1 for the year.

Early in the game the Rams asserted constant pressure on the Panthers’ defense, but the defense proved to be up for the countless challenges of VCU. After several would-be goals were turned away by Panther goalkeeper Jamie Pelusi, the Panthers’ offense began to show some signs of life by possessing the ball better in the midfield and halting some of the Rams’ advances before they reached the attack zone at the Pitt end of the field.

After a scoreless first half, the Rams looked to continue their offensive pressure in shots (10-0), and corners (2-0), while the Panthers’ offense would look for some more legitimate scoring chances.

Early in the second half, the Rams would strike first. In the 54th minute of play, Hedda Gardsjord lifted a pass from the right corner over the Panthers’ defense and found Catherine Duchesne open for a header past Pelusi, making the score 1-0 in favor of VCU.

In need of some offense, Sturk turned to his bench and brought in sophomore forward Cara Senger. The demeanor of the Panthers’ offense changed immediately, with Pitt getting its first real scoring chances of the day. In the 71st minute of play, Senger broke free from the Ram defense and was heading in on net when she was dragged down from behind by a VCU defender in the keeper’s box.

The Panthers were awarded a penalty kick for the takedown, and this would mark the turning point of the game. Lauren Sciocchetti placed the ball down on the line before booting the ball past the Rams’ goalkeeper, Chrissy Lloyd, tying the game at one apiece.

“I was just glad to be able to come in and make something positive happen for our team,” Senger said.

The goal fired up the Pitt team as the momentum swung toward the Panthers. Five minutes later, the Panthers would find the net again. Geraldine Loveless dropped the ball off to Aimee Romasco, who cleared the ball past the Rams’ defense. With the ball bouncing toward the net, Sarah Gutting outran the entire Rams’ defense to send the ball home and give the Panthers a 2-1 lead.

The Panthers were in complete control of the game and hit the Rams with a relentless offensive attack that had VCU scrambling to keep the game close.

Not satisfied with the one goal lead, the Panthers were awarded one of their five corner kicks in the half. Jacqueline Fix booted a high ball into the box where Callie Armstrong got a head on the ball and knocked it to the foot of Gutting who, through the traffic, was able to find the net yet again for her second goal of the game.

“That insurance goal really lifted our team’s spirits and continued to motivate us for the remainder of the game,” Gutting noted.

Trailing 3-1, VCU was in dire need of something to try to get back in the game with only nine minutes left in regulation. The answer to the Panthers’ goal came just two minutes later in the 83rd minute of play, when Gardsjord sent a perfect crossing pass to teammate Leah Robinson who pounded the ball into the open left side of the net making the score 3-2 in favor of Pitt.

That would be as close as the Rams would get before the Panther defense stepped in and snuffed out any chances of a VCU comeback. As time expired on the play clock, the fans at the game were already on their feet celebrating, while the Panther players met at midfield for a unified celebration that included a bunch of hugs and cheers.

“The positive attitude of our upperclassmen down the stretch has really made a difference in that they have been supportive of the team’s decision to play some of the younger players,” Sturk said. “Our underclassmen (Gutting, Senger, Armstrong, Erin Hills and Lisa Schulte) really came to play today.”

Pelusi finished the day with 12 saves, but her counterpart Lloyd managed to stop only one shot, while surrendering three goals. The Rams outshot the Panthers 18-5, but the five corner kicks by Pitt in the second half really made the difference in the game.

“It’s been a rough season for us but hopefully this win will give the team and the seniors something to look back on,” Pelusi said.

The Panthers will return to action this Friday night under the lights at Founders Field where they will host the Ohio Bobcats. Game time is set for 7 p.m.