Tuition goes up when students don’t register to vote

By TODD BRANDON MORRIS

Do you vote? Most likely you don’t. Most likely you are the part of the preponderance of… Do you vote? Most likely you don’t. Most likely you are the part of the preponderance of Pitt’s student body that isn’t even registered to vote.

Guess what? You don’t have a right to complain about the recent tuition hikes.

Pitt, like other schools, has experienced considerable increases in tuition during the last few years. Tuition increased 5 percent in 2000-01, 7.5 percent in 2001-02, 14 percent in 2002-03 and a proposed increase of 5 percent for 2003-04. If next year’s tuition increase stays at 5 percent – the predictions for last year’s started at 4 percent – then the increase in tuition during the last four years will be 31.5 percent.

Let the numbers speak for themselves. Pitt’s administration is out of control and they should be ashamed of themselves for the unnecessary burden that they are imposing on students. Right?

No. Never, ever, ever let the numbers speak for themselves. First and foremost, it is important to take inflation into account. The national inflation rates during the last five years have floated between 2.5 and 3 percent. Considering inflation, the increases during the last four years are very reasonable except for the 14 percent in 2002-03.

What accounted for the 14 percent increase this fiscal year? Last year, Gov. Mark Schweiker cut Pitt’s appropriation – or funding – 3.7 percent or $6.5 million. How would any nonprofit organization make up for these losses? After reviewing how they can cut costs the next action is to unfortunately raise tuition.

This is where voting comes into the picture. Since college students don’t historically vote, politicians and their representatives don’t address their needs and concerns. Since politicians and their representatives don’t address students’ needs and concerns they are reluctant to get involved in politics. This is a nasty cycle of neglect. Politicians neglect students, and students neglect politicians; students are now losing in the end with increased tuition.

Don’t think we are the only college experiencing such pains. Penn State – along with all other Pennsylvania schools – has experienced similar tuition increases. In 2002-03 when Pitt’s tuition increased 14 percent, Penn State’s increased 13.5 percent; the year before when Pitt’s tuition increased 7.5 percent Penn State’s increased by 7.75 percent. This is not a Pitt-exclusive issue.

How do we stop this? Vote. The first step is registering to vote.

Student Government Board has set a goal of registering 3,000 students to vote before the voter registration deadline of Oct. 7. This is only a few days away.

What this will accomplish is to create a legitimate base of student voters. This base is going to give SGB what is known as electoral power. They will be able to lobby elected officials and their representatives and say, “We have this many registered voters in your district. If you want our votes you need to address our concerns.”

Our concerns in this case would be not only preventing further cuts in the budget to postsecondary education, but also hopefully increasing the financing to postsecondary education.

They will also be able to use this electoral power to lobby for increased financial aid. For example, the Higher Education Act, which sets laws governing federal involvement in postsecondary education, is reviewed and updated every five years.

It is up for reauthorization this year. This means any increases we want for the next five years have to be approved and signed off this year.

For most of you who don’t vote, I hope you understand why you should. The first step is deciding to vote; the second step is to register. Do it today.

I hope you realize that you and I are the leaders of tomorrow. We are the future managers, directors, executives, CEOs and presidents. If we aren’t making the decisions for our government – and I want to stress this is our government – then I am scared to think what right-winged Republican will be.

Todd Brandon Morris hopes you will take the time in the next day to register to vote. He will personally bring you a registration if needed. He can be contacted at [email protected].