The crowds are alive: Sound of Music sing-a-long blasts into Pittsburgh

By KATIE MAVRICH

Sing-A-Long Sound of Music

Through Oct. 6

Byham Theater

Adults $20, children 12 and under,… Sing-A-Long Sound of Music

Through Oct. 6

Byham Theater

Adults $20, children 12 and under, $10

(412) 456-6666

If the Flintstones can meet the Jetsons, anything is possible. This week, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” meets – brace yourself – “The Sound of Music.”

Actually called “Sing-A-Long Sound of Music,” this show is filled with the same campy aspects as a live viewing of the “Rocky Horror Picture Show.” Replace “Time Warp” with “Do-Re-Mi” and substitute Captain Von Trapp for Dr. Frank-N-Furter and you’re in for quite a night.

You can go dressed as Maria, Gretl, Friedrich or any of your other favorite “Sound of Music” characters. Dressing in costume isn’t required, but it is strongly recommended in order to get the full experience of the show. There are even prizes given to the best costumes each night.

The film – enhanced with Technicolor and song subtitles so that the whole audience can sing along – is projected on a theater-size screen. In addition to singing, audience members are encouraged by the host for the evening to do various motions, gestures, including rising out of their seats with arms overhead as Julie Andrews belts out, “The hills are alive with the sound of music.”

In addition to all of this fun stuff, the audience members each get “magic moments” packs, filled with props and goodies to aid in the singing, motioning and dancing along together.

“Sing-A-Long Sound of Music” gave its first show in London in August 1999 and has since gone national, with shows in Australia, Norway, Canada and the United States.

Put on your warm woolen mittens, your best nun costume and remember when you were 16 going on 17.