Spencer leads Pitt defense

By JOE MARCHILENA

After watching Ohio cut into Pitt’s 20-point lead and with the Bobcats driving for more… After watching Ohio cut into Pitt’s 20-point lead and with the Bobcats driving for more with just more than 11 minutes left in the game, the Panthers’ defense seemed to be back on its heels, bending and trying not to break.

Up to that point, Ohio had out-gained the Panthers in the second half, 74-45, and had confused Pitt’s offense into three punts and an interception. The defense needed to find a way to stop the Bobcats.

Second down, 10 yards to go. Ohio was on the verge of crossing midfield for the third time on four second half drives.

Ohio quarterback Dontrell Jackson takes the snap and drops back three yards, rolling to his right. He looks up and, for a moment, Jason Caesar is open.

Quickly, Jackson throws the ball in Caesar’s direction, just as the Panthers’ defense collapses the pocket.

As Caesar is about to catch the ball, Shawntae Spencer leaps in front of him, making the interception and returning it to the Bobcats’ 2-yard line before being tripped up by Jackson.

“The number two receiver was coming in motion and our strong safety, Tyrone Gilliard, called a switch,” said Spencer, who was named Big East Co-Defensive Player of the Week. “It was a good call and we switched receivers and I just jumped the hot route.”

One play later, Lousaka Polite plunges into the end zone to put Pitt back up by 20 points, 27-7, and seal the Panthers’ seventh straight win and sixth opening game win under Walt Harris.

The interception was the second of Spencer’s three picks on the day, tying a school and Big East record and doubling his career total.

Overall, the Panthers’ defense forced six turnovers, five of them coming on interceptions.

“We were harping on all fall camp and all summer, ‘Turnovers, turnovers,'” said linebacker Gerald Hayes. “That’s what we wanted to come in the game and do, give our offense a chance to put some points on the board.”

That is exactly what the Panthers’ offense was able to do, converting four of the Ohio turnovers into 20 points and keeping the Bobcats’ running game off the field long enough to win.

“That’s a tough offense to play against,” Harris said. “I thought we turned the ball over pretty well on defense and that is crucial for us to have a good football team.”

“We had a lot of pressure up front to start out with, which made [the secondary’s] job a lot easier,” Spencer said. “It kind of hurried up the quarterback’s pattern and the receiver’s pattern when the ball came out.”

Pitt’s five interceptions came up one short of the team record of six, achieved twice against Boston College in 1977 and 1990. Spencer’s three picks matched the record set by Lou Cecconi against Penn State in 1949 and tied by Henry Ford in 1953 and Willie Marsh in 1978.

But, there was one thing that could have made Spencer’s day a lot better.

“I’m just kind of disappointed I didn’t score.”