Don’t call them Incubus

By JOSHUA T. COHEN

Hoobastank

with Greenwheel

Metropol

Wednesday, Sept. 25

7 or 8 p.m.

Hoobastank

with Greenwheel

Metropol

Wednesday, Sept. 25

7 or 8 p.m.

The melodic rock sounds of Southern California are infecting the mainstream music markets faster than chicken pox in an elementary school. Papa Roach, Alien Ant Farm and Incubus are all Southern Cali bands currently selling millions of records.

Apart from area codes and weather patterns, these groups share a similar formula for success. They all blend catchy, melodic vocals with rhythm rock guitars, a direction the Beatles first introduced to the mainstream a half-century ago.

Hoobastank is Southern Cali’s latest melodic rock group to reach stardom. Their sound and especially their vocals bear a striking similarity to Incubus’ later work. Many categorize Hoobastank as mere “rip-offs” of Incubus because of these similarities. But for those addicted to the melodic rock sounds of Southern Cali, Hoobastank serves as a great fix. What the group lacks in innovation they make up for with talent. Let’s face it: It’s not just any group of John Does from the street that can drop a radio single that has you saying “is this the new Incubus single?”

Hoobastank’s hit single, “Crawling in the Dark,” was one of the most popular rock singles of the year. Radio stations across the country ranging from hard rock to top 40 had no shortage of listeners hungry for their Hoobastank.

Reeling from its current success, the group is heading across the country for a fall club tour with newcomers Greenwheel. Both acts had hearty warm-up runs before coming together this fall. Hoobastank recently completed a schedule of shows with Incubus in Europe, while Greenwheel spent the last few months opening for Our Lady Peace.

The current tour will stop this Wednesday at Metropol. Starting at 7 p.m., this show is sure to be a memorable evening for any melodic rock fan.

Whether you like to mosh or just hang and watch the group, Hoobastank has something for you. Just remember the following rules: One: Non-moshers – stick to the back, very front or sides of the club. Leave the middle of the floor for those who want to shove each other around in time to the music. Two: If you are a first-time mosher and don’t want to be bounced into the street, stick with roughing up the peeps that want to be tossed around. The 12-year-old kid standing on his tippy-toes, trying to get a glimpse of the group, is probably not there have a shoving contest with you.

If you’re in the mood for some great melodic rock, moshing or you just couldn’t make it to the Incubus arena tour and want to catch the next best thing, tomorrow’s Hoobastank show is the place for you.