What’s so bad about fraternities?

By TODD BRANDON MORRIS

Despite the disapproval of most of my friends, I think I want join a fraternity. Having… Despite the disapproval of most of my friends, I think I want join a fraternity. Having transferred from another school, this is my first official semester at Pitt. I live off campus and am still getting used to the city. I reckon I should start to make new friends now. Is there anything wrong with that?

Honestly, I know very little about Greek life. So, I decided I needed to do some investigating. I began by asking my coworkers and friends about going Greek. Between classes one day, I stopped at the William Pitt Union and inquired about Pitt’s Greek system at the Information Desk. Don’t let the name fool you – they didn’t even know when rush week was.

During my search for some Hellenic help, I was almost always asked one of two questions. Actually it was the same question, but the one question clearly had two different implications. I got either: “You want to be in a fraternity?” Or better yet: “You want to be in a fraternity?”

The former question, I can understand … kind of. Some people – most of my friends – don’t “approve” of fraternities. I am sure we’ve all heard the tired argument that joining a fraternity or a sorority is in essence buying your friends.

I don’t agree with that only because it makes it sound like you are paying money to other people so that they will be your friends. Yes, you are paying money, and yes, you are being placed in social situations where the chances are high that you will develop new and amicable relationships.

It should be noted, however, that you are not paying money to some random kid to be your best bud. You aren’t giving frat brother “Jack” a wad of twenties so that he will call you next Friday night to spend the evening at his place to watch the new Tolkien release. You aren’t writing frat brother “Joe” a check so that you’ll have someone to tell you which Abercrombie Polo looks best on you – solid gray or blue vertical stripes.

It’s simply a matter of economics; all social groups require some financing to operate.

Then there is the more offensive: “You want to be in a fraternity?” My immediate response was always: “What’s that supposed to mean?” I always thought I was perfect Greek material. I thought that I would fit right in; I can bong a beer with the best of them. I held the keg-stand record back home.

What were they trying to say? Then they would continue: “But … you’re gay.” Now I realized their surprise. I never thought it was weird that I wanted to join a frat. I never even thought twice about it, but my friends thought I should; apparently we gays don’t do that.

It appears most of the people I know think I won’t get into one knowing I’m gay. They were extremely surprised that I planned on telling the fraternity. Apparently, I should go about this as a straight person. Perhaps I should be bragging about how many chicks I “tapped” last month. I shouldn’t forget to comment on our waitress’s huge rack and what I could do with those – ugh, all of this talk is making me nauseous.

Then, once I am a brother, I can “come out.”

What kind of brother would I be if I did that? Why would I want to start off my Greek life by lying? I don’t want to, and I won’t.

I have not heard one good reason not to join a fraternity. The only valid concern is of the fraternity not accepting me because of my sexuality. I think my friends are making much more of a deal out of this than it is. I want to believe that the fraternity I pick will be better than that.

So that’s it. I’ve decided I am joining a fraternity. To hell with all of you naysayers, I am going Greek and not looking back.

Umm – when’s the first toga party?

While Todd Brandon Morris is preparing for his new Greek life, you can reach him at [email protected].