Norris named Big East co-Player of the Week

By JOE MARCHILENA

For the third time in her Pitt career and the first time this season, Carrie Norris was… For the third time in her Pitt career and the first time this season, Carrie Norris was named the Big East Volleyball co-Player of the Week on Monday.

Norris helped the Panthers go 3-2 last week and was named to the Pittsburgh Invitational All-Tournament Team, leading the tournament in assists, averaging 13.1 in 10 games.

In a win over Ball State in the Radisson Hotel Roberts/Nike Classic, Norris recorded the first of two double doubles, recording 52 assists and 10 digs Sept. 2.

Against St. Francis in Pitt’s home opener Sept. 4, Norris had a match-high 33 assists and four service aces.

In the final match of the Pittsburgh Invitational, a 3-1 victory over Bowling Green, Norris picked up another double double, racking up 60 assists and 13 digs.

Norris now has 279 assists in seven matches this season, giving her 3,684 for her career, which ranks third on Pitt’s all-time list. She trails Stephanie Dufresne by 247 for second place and Annemarie Mernagh by 772 for first all-time.

Her average of 12.13 assists per game is on pace to break the school single-season record.

After recording eight service aces last week, Norris also ranks seventh on the all-time list with 107 aces, just five behind Sara Mitchell and Jenelle Lantagne for fifth place.

Norris was twice named Big East Player of the Week during the 1999 season.

Pitt rookie wins Big East soccer honors

Off to one of the best starts in school history, Pitt men’s soccer has received a big lift from the addition of freshman Keeyan Young.

Young, who is from North Wales, Pa., was rewarded for his excellent play in the first few games of the season, being named the Big East Men’s Soccer Rookie of the Week.

In a 1-0 win over Niagara, Young converted a Bryan Hopper corner kick for the game-winning goal and his first of the season.

Saturday, Young assisted on Marco Carrizales’ game-winning goal in a 2-1 overtime victory over Villanova.

Young ranks second on the team in points this season with three.

Blanco named women’s basketball director of operations

Wednesday, women’s basketball head coach Traci Waites announced the hiring of Carolina Blanco as director of operations.

“I’m very happy to have Carolina as a member of our staff,” Waites said. “She has a great attitude and wants to be a part of women’s basketball.”

“I am excited for the opportunity to be at the University of Pittsburgh and work with coach Waites and her staff,” Blanco said. “This is a great opportunity for me to be associated with an outstanding university and athletic department. I look forward to being a part of the continued success of this department.”

Before coming to Pitt, Blanco served as a game day media intern last summer with the Washington Mystics of the Women’s National Basketball Association. She was also a media conference assistant for the NCAA men’s east regional semi-finals, which were held in Pittsburgh last March.

“Her passion for the game will be a great attribute to where we want to go with our program,” Waites said. “I am excited to have our staff complete as we get ready for the upcoming season.”