Great date restaurants in Pittsburgh

By HEATHER BOWLAN

Let’s face it, when you want to impress a date, dinner is an excellent way to do it – and,… Let’s face it, when you want to impress a date, dinner is an excellent way to do it – and, in Pittsburgh, it’s an easy way. An eclectic variety of cuisines, atmospheres and prices around the city means you could go to a new restaurant every week and still not see them all. So here’s a little help finding some hot spots located a few steps and maybe even a bus off the beaten path while still honoring a couple of college standbys.

You actually committed the blunder of seeing a movie on your first date. Three hours later, you emerge from the Manor Theater in Squirrel Hill knowing why “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” is making money, but not whether your date is. Don’t panic – just walk a few blocks down to Gullifty’s, located at 1922 Murray Ave. The restaurant, famous for its desserts, is open late (until 1 a.m. on the weekends), and the huge portions are a welcome sight when the waiter brings your food to the table. Chat each other up with the best comfort food – cheesecake – designed to come to the rescue if you don’t like what you hear.

If the first date goes well, you might want to up the ante a bit on the second. Surprise her by staying in Oakland and checking out The Spice Island Tea House, conveniently located at 253 Atwood St. You’ll both enjoy the laid-back, earthy feel and the intriguing, mostly Thai-influenced menu. At this place, you can pick anything on the menu and do well, but just be warned that if an item is marked as spicy, it is. For dessert, try the mango ice cream, which is creamier than at most other restaurants. And respect the name and order the tea special of the day – you’ll be uberhip.

By the third date, you’re both ready to relax and let the connection take you where it may. The hands-down best restaurant to go with the flow is Cafe du Jour, which you can find at 1107 Carson St. on the South Side. If you eat there within the next month, you may get to enjoy the fabulous courtyard seating, which, with the help of a small pond, a gargoyle and some herbs, feels much farther than 20 feet from Carson Street, especially when you’re stuffing your face with a fresh baguette and homemade herb butter. The menu offers American food with a gourmet edge, meaning that even your chicken sandwich is a message from heaven. Try the portabella mushroom filled with chevre cheese and red pepper sauce. No really-you have to.

At some point, you may find yourselves in the same bedroom on a Sunday morning. The best way to avoid looking directly into each other’s eyes is by shoveling food into your mouths, and as you both hopefully have both discovered, there is one place in Oakland (and Shadyside and Squirrel Hill) that can cure any hangover. That place is Pamela’s Country Kitchen. There is no doubt the staff at Pamela’s is expert to offer a breakfast special called “The Morning After.” And boy, does it do the job, with pancakes (try them crepe style), eggs, and of course, those lyonnaise potatoes. Even if you’re still wearing the same clothes, at least you’ll be eating well.

OK, so some time has gone by, and there’s a special day coming up that you want to celebrate. You could go to the expensive and delicious restaurants in Mt. Washington like the Grandview Saloon or Le Mont, or you could stay towards the bottom of the hill in the South Side and check out Le Pommier, a moderately priced and delightful little restaurant on 2104 E. Carson St. The tiny rooms politely force intimacy on you and the food encourages a discerning palate, such as a cold cucumber dill soup, one of the specials offered this summer. It’s a charming place to stare deeply into another’s eyes while exclaiming, “Wow! This vegetable ragout is fantastic!”

So here are five restaurants to start you on your way to being an expert restaurant dater. But keep your eyes peeled while heading to these places – half the fun of a dinner date is discovering a place together and making it your own. And you know you’ll be going out to dinner more than five times in college.

Addresses for sidebar/infographic:

Gullifty’s 1922 Murray Ave. – Squirrel Hill

(412) 521-8222

Spice Island Tea House

253 Atwood St. (412) 687-8821

Cafe du Jour 1107 E. Carson St. – South Side

(412) 488-9695

Pamela’s

3703 Forbes Ave.

(412) 683-4066

Le Pommier

2104 E. Carson St. – South Side

(412) 431-1901