Letter to the editor

By Pitt News Staff

Friday Night Improv skit intended to be humorous

A letter in your September 13,… Friday Night Improv skit intended to be humorous

A letter in your September 13, 2002, edition expressed the concerns of two students who took offense to the use of the word “faggot” during an improv game at Friday Nite Improvs. I would like to express my regret at the offense Patricia Smith and Rebecca Weber felt.

FNI appeals to a wide range of viewpoints and comedic tastes, but we do not censor. Unfortunately, these two policies sometimes result in an offended audience member.

However, the letter mischaracterized the incident. The word was indeed used, but had the writers paid attention, instead of immediately taking offense, they would have seen the characters were vile, ignorant and intolerant – hence, they used the word freely. Remember, just because a performer uses an offensive idea, it doesn’t mean he is glorifying its use or its meaning.

I only wish the two had approached either the actors in question or me with their concerns. Had they done so, we hopefully would have put them at ease.

FNI had a rule about using stereotypes, telling performers to make them broad and ridiculous so the audience understands the joke is on the stereotype rather than the group it describes. Upon becoming the show’s host, I stopped announcing the rule, believing our audience intelligent enough to understand the difference. I am saddened to know now that some people are not capable. I am reinstating the rule’s explanation and I hope this will remedy such problems.

If you like to laugh and perhaps even to think, FNI is here for you. If you are easily offended, I suggest you don’t attend.

Ben Mayer

Host and Managing Director, Friday Nite Improvs

Pitt Alumnus