Lack of backup concerns Harris

By BRIAN GOLDMAN

No, there isn’t a starting quarterback controversy.

No, there isn’t a concern with the… No, there isn’t a starting quarterback controversy.

No, there isn’t a concern with the wide receivers; the offensive line; the defense, or the running backs.

So what decisions need to be made before game day for head coach Walt Harris?

The second string quarterback and the place kicker.

“We have some questions at the second team quarterback,” Harris said. “No one has distinguished themselves.”

The three quarterbacks vying for the job as backup are redshirt sophomore Pat Hoderny, and true freshmen Tyler Palko and Luke Getsy.

“I would like to redshirt both [freshman],” Harris said. “Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.”

As for starting quarterback Rod Rutherford, Harris is confident in his player and feels there is no need to change the playbook for him.

“Most likely we will throw in some wrinkles for Rod,” Harris said. “But we haven’t changed the playbook at all.”

The only other question mark for a legit starter is at the place kicker position. With the departure of Nick Lotz, a competition has ensued between redshirt sophomore J. B. Gibboney and true freshman David Abdul.

Abdul has been the power kicker in fall camp, kicking the ball as far as 60 yards, but his accuracy has lacked at times. Meanwhile Gibboney has showed accuracy, but less power than Abdul.

“During practice we will sometimes stop in the middle of a drill and kick a field goal,” Harris said. “It’s still up in the air who will play. At times we’ve been kicking well, but when we kick an extra point, we need to make it.”

If coach Harris had his way, injuries would not be a part of the game. However, injuries exist, and Pitt has a few lingering injuries entering this week.

At running back, Alabama transfer Brandon Miree has a tweak in his ankle, but is expected to play Saturday.

“We are a little banged up,” Harris said. “But, Miree looked really good in practice last night,”

With the season ending injury sustained by freshman Jawan Walker at running back, Marcus Furman has been moved back to the running back position. Raymond Kirkley, Miree, and Furman should all see playing time come Saturday’s opening game.

There is just one other lingering injury Harris must deal with and that’s with his starting offensive lineman Rob Petitti.

“Rob [Petitti] was back on the field gimping around last night,” Harris said. “He looked rusty, but we don’t have a lot of depth at that position.”

On Saturday the Panthers will open up their 2002 campaign against Ohio. Senior quarterback Dontrell Jackson leads the Bobcats, but it is Ohio’s 3-4 defensive setup that will hit home for Pittsburgh fans that might be familiar with the Steelers defense.

“We’ve run this type of defense for the last eight seasons,” Ohio head coach Brian Knorr said. “It has multiple pressures that it provides.”

Since this game is the first of the year, Harris has been unable to see tapes of Ohio this season. According to Harris, this will make it tough to gauge just how good Ohio’s 3-4 defense will be.

But, all that really matters to Harris is a win.

“I don’t care who we play as long as we win,” Harris said. “Starting positive is crucial and learning from last season is critical.”

Last season, the Panthers lost to South Florida in week two of the season, which started a five-game losing streak. Harris learned from the losing streak last season and says it will help with the preparation for this year’s season.

“Teams that put money in the bank don’t look past any team,” Harris said. “Last year that didn’t happen for us. We have fewer stars this season, but we have a good football team.”