Headaches force Picciotti to retire from football

By JOE MARCHILENA

After two years, two concussions and numerous headaches, Dustin Picciotti decided to call it… After two years, two concussions and numerous headaches, Dustin Picciotti decided to call it quits, announcing Aug. 13 that he was retiring from football.

The 6-foot-3-inch, 250-pound sophomore missed all of last season because of a concussion severe enough to cause dizzy spells for more than six weeks.

Picciotti, who was projected as the Panthers’ backup fullback, returned to the team in January and participated in full-contact drills in the spring. But after suffering from headaches during the first day of training camp, Picciotti decided to retire.

In 1999, Picciotti was selected as the Pennsylvania High School Player of the Year while playing for Central Bucks West and was one of Walt Harris’ most prized recruits.

The Panthers plan to appeal to the NCAA for a hardship designation, which would allow Picciotti to keep his scholarship without it counting toward Pitt’s limit.

Picciotti rushed for 23 yards on seven carries in eight games during the 2000 season.

Rutherford named starter for opener against Ohio

Just days after denying that no one claimed the starting quarterback position, Harris proclaimed redshirt junior Rod Rutherford the Panthers’ starter on Aug. 19.

The only Pitt quarterback with significant game experience, Rutherford spent last season as the Panthers’ backup, completing 32 percent of his passes while leading the team with six rushing touchdowns.

While Rutherford turned in a decent performance in the team’s final scrimmage on Aug. 21, completing 13 of 22 passes for 132 yards, none of the Panthers’ other quarterbacks was able to step up and claim the back-up position.

Sophomore Pat Hoderny and freshmen Tyler Palko and Luke Getsy combined to complete just 10 of 24 passes for 96 yards.

Offense takes a step back

After dominating the first scrimmage, the offense suffered numerous dropped balls, penalties and turnovers, coughing up the ball a total of five times. Hoderny led Pitt with two interceptions, one which was returned 32 yards for a touchdown by safety Tyrone Gilliard. Turnovers were a problem for Pitt early last season when the Panthers turned the ball over 18 times during a 1-5 start.

Week of ups and downs for Walker

After missing the first few days of camp, freshman Jawan Walker received clearance from the NCAA on Aug. 16, making him eligible for the 2002 season.

The 5-foot-10-inch, 190-pound tailback spent last week working his way into contention for the starting job, but all that work may have been for nothing after he suffered a torn medial collateral ligament and a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during last Wednesday’s scrimmage.

With Walker and transfer Brandon Miree out, and Tim Murphy moved to fullback to replace Picciotti, the Panthers were left with just returning starter Raymond Kirkley and freshman Abdur Abdullah at tailback.

For now, Marcus Furman has moved back to tailback after moving to receiver in the spring. Freshman A.J. Schneider and converted linebackers Brian Bennett and Kellen Campbell will compete with Murphy for the backup fullback position.