Wrestling team heads to NCAA championship

By JOE MARCHILENA

After finishing fourth in the Eastern Wrestling League Championships, six Pitt wrestlers are… After finishing fourth in the Eastern Wrestling League Championships, six Pitt wrestlers are on their way to Albany, N.Y., to compete in the NCAA Championships this weekend.

Leading the way for the Panthers are heavyweight Jacob Lininger, who finished second in his class after hurting his knee in the final match, and Carl Fronhofer, who finished third in the 165-pound class.

Lininger, who is 33-10 overall this season and 14-3 in dual matches, enters his first national championship unranked. He will face Jason Cooley of Oregon State in the first round.

Cooley, who is ranked No. 7 in the heavyweight class, regained his Pacific-10 Conference title after losing it in 2001. Cooley went on to lose both of his matches in the NCAA tournament last season.

Lininger faces an uphill battle, as Cooley is 16-4 in dual matches this year and has won 10 in a row.

Also making the trip to New York will be Shawn Amistade, who finished third in the 133-pound weight class. He will be making his third trip to the national championships after upsetting nationally ranked Cory Ace of Edinboro in the consolation final.

Amistade, who is unranked, enters the NCAA tournament with a 22-10 record, including 12-6 in dual matches. He will face No. 2 Johnny Thompson of Oklahoma State in the first round.

Thompson, who was one of four All-Americans for OSU last season, complied a 32-3 overall record and a 11-2 record in dual matches.

Thompson also finished second in the nationals in 2001.

Justin Giovinco, who finished third in the 149-pound class, will face NC State