Serious relationships: worth the effort?

Ever since my sophomore year in high school, I’ve had a steady stream of serious… Ever since my sophomore year in high school, I’ve had a steady stream of serious relationships. The honest-to-goodness truth is that I’m sick of it.

Oh, I know how good it can be to snuggle up with someone you at least think you love, to have someone to consistently fall back on for Friday night plans or to be interested in how your day went, but these reasons simply are not good enough to put the work into a serious relationship.

I used to think that when I got older, I would be immune to the divorce virus that has spread throughout the world. I thought that people were making the mistake of marrying people they didn’t understand thoroughly enough to love or love thoroughly enough to make the effort to understand.

I thought that even those people who married on practically a whim at a young age could make it work out if they tried, and that working it out can be worth it; after all, my own parents married young after knowing each other for only a short time.

But then, to everybody’s surprise, my parents divorced after 22 years together the summer before I began my college career.

Ah, but that did not faze me. I still said that where there was a will, there was a way. Marry someone you love, don’t forget that you love that person and it can work out. I thought that I had the talent to be perceptive and understanding enough to really know a person before marrying.

I thought that in my relationships so far, I had the ability to recognize a problem and work through it