College of General studies moves to Posvar Hall

Students in the College of General Studies will report to a new location for classes next semester.

The College of General Studies is moving to the first floor of Posvar Hall. Sherry Miller Brown, director for the college’s McCarl Center for Nontraditional Student Success, said the move will give the college more space for faculty offices.

University spokesman John Fedele said the construction, contracted by FMS Construction Services, based in Sharpsburg, Pa., should be complete by early to mid July. Fedele said the contractors will convert the old first-floor library space in Posvar into offices and meeting spaces. The number of rooms in the renovated space is to be determined, he said.

The College of General Studies, a school for students who are continuing or completing their degrees, entering the workforce or changing or advancing their careers, consists of 12 majors, three minors and 13 certificates and is currently located on the fourth floor of the Cathedral of Learning.

The new location in Posvar is easily accessible on the first floor, Fedele said, which is important to the non-traditional students like veterans, students taking evening classes and Osher Lifelong Learning Institute members, who are age 50 and older and take classes for no grades or credits.

Moving to the new location also opens up space in the Cathedral.

The fourth floor of the Cathedral, where the College of General Studies is currently housed, will be under renovation this summer for faculty offices and an instructional support area for the Department of English and administrative faculty office space for the Cultural Studies program, Film Studies program and the Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies program, Fedele said.