Pitt basketball player faces indefinite suspension following arrest

Derrick Randall, a Pitt basketball player, faces an indefinite suspension from the team after being arrested for driving while intoxicated on Tuesday on Rutgers University’s campus.

Randall, 24, was also charged with the possession and use of a controlled dangerous substance, according to a report in the Daily Record in Parsippany, N.J. The university police also reported to the Daily Record that the incident occurred at 2:45 a.m. nearby the university’s basketball arena.

Randall just completed his junior season at Pitt, where he transferred after two seasons at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J.

“The incident involving Derrick Randall this morning is not only surprising but incredibly disappointing,” Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon said in a University release. “Although I believe it was out of character for Derrick, he has been indefinitely suspended.”

Rutgers University police declined to comment on Wednesday.

Randall transferred from Rutgers University after Rutgers head basketball coach Mike Rice was fired following the 2012-2013 season.

He and other Rutgers basketball players filed a lawsuit in December against Rutgers and Rice because of the violent treatment they endured under Rice’s coaching, according to the Associated Press.

Randall averaged 2.1 points and 2.4 rebounds per game, according to ESPN, this season at Pitt.

Randall did not respond to inquiries for comment via email in time for publication.